Friday 25 July 2014

John Green : THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

Warning: YOU WILL CRY!!! 100%!!



THE FAULT IN OUR STARS... John Green's best-selling novel which brought down millions of girls in tears. We cried and cried and cried. I have been resisting to read this novel for quite some time, but the recently released film adaptation brought the timetable a little bit forward and I found myself reading this book while waiting for one of my flights at the airport. 

I will be honest. I have been expecting big things from this book. Mr Green managed to capture so many young girls' hearts around the whole world. Now, the first novel I read by this author failed to impress me, so this book immediately became THE TEST. 















OH and how much I have fallen in love with the story of Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS is THE STORY. Once you read this book, it will stay with you. It crawls under your skin. It changes you. And it will change your look at the world. 



I will not bother you with the plot of the story. I will not ruin it for you. I think you should read it for yourself or go and see the film in the cinema. 

But now, I will praise Mr Green's writing and the story itself. It was wonderful. The story itself was so true, sad and a big check into reality. He wasn't afraid to touch the subject of cancer survived patients or the unfortunate ones who fight this awful disease. He took us on the journey to see their everyday life and struggles, but he also showed us that they have the same problems as any other person - they have their moods swings, play video games, have a broken heart and fall in love. 





I was surprised at how easy was to get lost in this story. So so so easy to read. You start and an hour later you find yourself in the middle of the book, being not able to put it down. It's smart. It teaches you the facts of life. It makes you smile - actually scratch that - it makes you laugh out loud. But it also breaks your heart and you find yourself crying your heart out. Tears will be streaming down your face.. Tears for Augustus Waters. Tears for heartbroken Hazel Grace. 



This story is so inspiring. It gives you new-found strength to deal with ups and downs of your life. It inspires you to live your life to the fullest and enjoy every single moment. It shows you how important is to not to give but continue fighting. 


I have fallen in love with this book, like I fall asleep. "Slowly, but then all at once." Augustus Waters, you have stolen and broke my heart. Hazel Grace Lancaster, your unique view on the life and the way you deal with things is inspiring. MR JOHN GREEN... I love you and I hate you at the same time.  This book is amazing. The story is wonderfully heart-shattering. The characters are funny, loveable and aside from the cancer, very relate able. 

Thank you Mr Green for writing this unique, beautiful story which keeps continue to surprise and is with me all the time. You have marked my soul with your words. I am eternally grateful to you for bringing these two people into my life. 



The quotes all the girls around the world know of by heart: 

“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.” 


"I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.” 


“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”


“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”


“There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.” 


“The world is not a wish-granting factory.” 


“There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.”

“Books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”

“Without pain, how could we know joy?' This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.” 

“Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin.”


No comments:

Post a Comment