Friday 12 September 2014

E. Lockhart : WE WERE LIARS

WARNING! Every so ofter you come across a book, a story, an inspiring adventure, which will surprise you in the most unexpected way. WE WERE LIARS is just one of those books. It sneaks up on you and it will never let go. 



WE WERE LIARS is a contemporary YA novel written by one of the recently most talk about and praised authors - E. LOCKHART. I have purchased this book when spending a bulge of my hard earned cash on Amazon as it caught my attention.


With a blur like the one on the back of this book, nobody would be able to resist the temptation to read this book.


WE ARE LIARS. WE ARE BEAUTIFUL, PRIVILEGED AND LIVE A LIFE OF CAREFREE LUXURY. WE ARE CRACKED AND BROKEN. A STORY OF LOVE AND ROMANCE. A TALE OF TRAGEDY. WHICH ARE LIES? WHICH ARE TRUTH?



I have been caught in this book immediately. It looks like it could be one of those books which makes you think all the way through and after you read it, it might stay with you for a while. And I haven't been wrong.

Candice is an heir to her family's fortune. As the oldest grand child, she is brought up in a luxury. Her grandfather owns a private island near Martha's Vineyard and her whole family spends there every summer. Candice and her three cousins called themselves Liars. They spend every single waking minute together. Then in The Summer Fifteen, Candice has an accident she cannot recall, which leaves her with painful migraines and a short amnesia. So after two years, she comes back to the island to try to figure out what has happened in the those faithful months of Summer Fifteen. 


Firstly, let me start with the edition itself. Paperback with a lovely summer image on the cover. When you open the book, there is a map of the island at the beginning to help you to visualise the environment of the story. The story itself is divided into 5 parts which slowly tells you important parts of Candice's lost memories. 


As far as the plot goes, this book is brilliant. It gets under your skin straight from the start and you will not be able to put it down. You will want to continue reading it more and more with every secret revealed. It might be confusing to start with. Hell, it too me a while to work out what is going on, but once you start to discover more and more secrets, you find yourself invested in the story and you start to make your own theories of what has happened that faithful summer. Don't give up on the book, when you feel like it's confusing! I promise it will be worth it. At the end, it will all make sense. The ending will explain it all. 


The major twist is excellent. I did not expect that! It actually blew my mind and left with a mouth opened wide. It's genius. It's heart-breaking and it makes you cry, but at the same time it's unexpected, original and fantastic. 




The characters of the story are real, loveable, down-to-earth, very relate able and the author makes them come alive.


The writing is very modern, easy to follow, entertaining, keeps you in suspense and makes sure that you are glued to the pages of the novel. Lockhart's story-telling is smart and beautiful. She wrote a story of such a major loss and its unique way of coping with it. I've never read a similar story to this one. It's one of a kind in the YA genre. I absolutely fell in love with WE WERE LIARS. It made me laugh. It made me cry. And it absolutely broke my heart. 


I haven't read such a great book in a while. This is the only book this year, which holds a story within its pages, what wasn't what I expected. It was more. It made me think. Hard. All the way through I was hurting my head with various ideas, but even I didn't expect the ending. It's one of those books, which will stay with you for a long time after you read the last page. It had on me the same effect as WARM BODIES I have read last year. It seriously blew my mind.



WE WERE LIARS was a very unique, entertaining, mind-blowing and absolutely fantastic story to read. One of the best I've read in the contemporary YA genre so far. 

Beautiful. This story makes me want to read more of E. Lockhart's writing. I cannot wait to get lost in more stories by this wonderful writer. Ms Lockhart, Thank you for writing this beautiful tale of love and loss.


4 comments:

  1. I so agree with everything you say! This book gripped me from the start and the ending was just... I did not see that coming. Really excited to read more by this author now.

    www.beautyandrambles.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Anouk! I know this book is one of the best surprises of past year! it's so so so good. And the twist at the end is mind-blowing!

      Delete
  2. It seems like you really enjoyed this book! It has been on my TBR for a while and I can't wait to try it. Positive reviews like this make me all the more excited :D

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/09/waiting-for-dusk-book-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, it was absolutely unexpected how much I enjoyed this book. It's a bit confusing to start off with but then it just grabs you and you have to finish it.. x

      Delete