Thursday 26 March 2015

Alice Oseman : SOLITAIRE

Warning! I hope you are armed with a lot of patience.



SOLITAIRE is a debut novel written by the very new author on the scene - Alice Oseman.


Alice used to be, well actually still is, quite a famous rambling, pessimistic and sarcastic blogger on Tumblr. Her ramblings and posts won hearts of millions followers around the world and Alice was offered a lifetime opportunity to write a novel which would be published and sold by many booksellers all over the world. And Solitaire was born. I came across Solitaire on one of my book haul in Waterstones. The cover immediately caught my attention, and so did the blur on the back.

*****

'I don't ever remember not being serious. As far as I'm concerned, I came out of the womb spouting cynicism and wishing for rain.'

My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year I had friends. Things were very different. I guess, but that's all over now. Now there's Solitaire. And Michael Holden. I don't know what Solitaire are trying to do. And I don't care about Michael Holden. I really don't.

*****

Let's talk about the edition first. It's a very cool paperback. I absolutely adore the design. Black covers with neon orange and neon colours which create a heart. A solitaire heart. I wish they would decide to dye the pages in neon orange too as I think it would add the extra coolness. 392 pages. The book is divided into 2 parts.


The writing. Modern. Smart. Packed with pop culture references every one is familiar with. Funny at times, but very dark and pessimistic. Which I understand serves the purpose of the main character being always the serious, sarcastic person.



The story. Well... To be honest.. I have been very disappointed with the story. I was expecting more. Instead I was left baffled. I don't honestly know the point of this novel. Yes, Tori is very sad person who likes to isolate herself from others. She doesn't make friends and when someone wants to get to know her, she doesn't take it well. If this story would more focus on that issue, I might quite enjoy it. Instead, the author throws in the issue and movement of Solitaire and this whole story becomes a hot mess. I know I shouldn't be so harsh. This is Oseman's debut novel. But unfortunately, I didn't like it.


The character development was no-existent. The plot was a little bit boring and failed at times. The characters weren't likeable. For first 200 pages I didn't have a clue where this author and story is heading. And that didn't improve. All this book did manage, is to piss me off. Literally. The sarcasm and pessimism in this book feels forced. It's hard to read because all you do is shake your head at the non-existing story development. And I am really sorry about it. I was so looking forward to read this book, but I ended up not liking it at all.




I am sorry Alice. I know it's your first novel. I think you have tried really hard to make your story relate able. I think you wanted to capture the life of teenage girl who doesn't know where she belongs in this world. She forgot how to live her life. But unfortunately, you failed to write a memorable story. Instead I was happy to put the book down and I won't come back to it for a very long time, if ever.




6 comments:

  1. Everyone has been talking about how good this book is - its refreshing to see a different perspective. I'll have to read it myself to know for sure but its good to see an honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you !!! I am fully aware that people read the books in their own way so I can understand why some people might enjoy the story, but for me it didn't work. But you might feel a different way. ;-) xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh thank you !! I am glad you like it !! It's my baby ;-) xoxo

      Delete
  3. It's a shame that you didn't enjoy it! The premise sounds interesting through, so I may pick Solitaire up one day. Great review!

    Meredith @ A Book Lover's Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was disappointed as there is so much hyper about the book, but some readers might it enjoy it, so you should give it a go. I just think there are far better stories out there.

      Delete