Thursday 1 May 2014

5 Best Sequels

I have decided to write some blog posts inspired by my favourite bloggers and vloggers and tumblr prompts. God Bless the TUMBLR!! I cannot believe how long it took me to realise how great this social networking site is but OH MY, IT'S BRILLIANT!!

Thanks to some great videos from my favourite THE READABLES on YouTube and her weekly video of her TOP 5, I have decided to write some posts on the prompts she has received. #Sequels is here. You know what major problem I have with sequels. Usually they turn out to be a disappointment and they anger me with not enough thought out story. Second book is always curse for me to read, so when I find one which is really good, I am pleasantly surprised. I think I always set up my standards high thanks to the first book in the series, and then when it doesn't come even close, I am left sad and angry and really really pissed off. 

Anyways, here are my 5 BEST SEQUELS which passed the expectations and manage to surprise me by being as good as the first book, if not better on some occasions. 



5. CITY OF ASHES by Cassandra Clare



The Mortal Instruments series had lured me in with its actioned packed story about Shadow hunters and their hidden world within our world. City Of Bones was brilliant introduction to this mind-blowing world. And City Of Ashes was a great continuum of the story. Yes, there were parts which I hated and there were parts which I loved.  But the important thing is that the second book took us even deeper into the story, surprised us even more and left us hanging for the next one to come. 


4. INSURGENT by Veronica Roth



The Divergent Series is one of the best dystopian series I have read in recent years. The film adaptation has recently hit the big screen (if successfully - that is a different question...). Insurgent was a great sequel packed with action and backstabbing and surprising twists (especially the one from Caleb!). Tobias Eaton is as gorgeous and mesmerising as usual and Tris as annoying as in the first one if not more. Insurgent is one of the better sequels but not as good as Allegiant. 


3. GIRL OF NIGHTMARES by Kendare Blake



Girl of Nightmares is a sequel to Anna Dressed in Blood by Ms Blake. What an amazing story and what an amazing series. It's dark. Sometimes even terrifying. It's witty, eventful and keeps you on your toes. You have your fingers crossed all the way through for Cas and Anna and hope that he will save her and somehow they will find their happy ending. Ms Blake wrote one great series which I will return to read time and time again. 


2. CLOCKWORK PRINCE by Cassandra Clare



Clockwork Prince is the second book of Infernal Devices by Ms Clare. Infernal Devices are a prequel to The Mortal Instruments and this book is just one of the greatest sequels I have read. Actually, the whole series is brilliant. It makes you go through your whole spectrum of your emotions. I cannot remember a book when I cried or smiled so hard. The only thing I hate about is the clear fact that Ms Clare decided at the beginning who will be the winner in the love triangle and who will lose. But I do appreciate this book for the amour spent on the relationship between Jem and Tessa. It's beautiful. And definitely one of the best ones I have ever read. Team JEM all the way. 


1. CROWN OF MIDNIGHT by Sarah J. Maas



Crown of Midnight is a sequel to Throne of Glass. This series took me by surprised. I wasn't expecting to fall for the story and its protagonists so hard. I wasn't expecting that I will count the days till the next book in this series is released. But Crown of Midnight is even better than the first book. Ms Maas managed to take this story even further with new twists and turns which keep on coming. The love triangle has reached its full potential, secrets have been discovered which are leading to more dangerous situations. I have loved this book and cannot wait for the new developments in the Celaena, Chaol and Dorian's life. 


So here are my Top 5 Sequels, tell me what sequels did you like and why. I would love to hear your thoughts so do not hesitate and let me know. 

3 comments:

  1. Are these planned books, as part of a series, or true sequels that were borne of the success of the first book? I'm thinking of the second Matrix movie, which was not initially planned, and getting nauseous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I think they we all planned ... well maybe not Girl of Nightmares... but I think the rest was.

      Delete
  2. The Divergent Series is really good! Loved it, although I do not like Tris. I love the Inheritance Series. My sister is a massive fan so I cannot find out for myself if the books are as good as she says! I tried to read His Dark Materials but got bored but they are back on my list of books I need to read this year ! I love the new editions of this series which are currently in the shops! Unfortunately, I haven't heard about the next 3 books you have mentioned but I will make sure to re-search them.

    I am fan of both E-book and a paperback. Currently running out of space for paperbacks but I cannot stop buying them! There is something about the feeling you get when you read a proper book !!

    ReplyDelete