Saturday 31 May 2014

Reading Challenge: 12 Books of Summer Reading


I love the summer and its lazy days in sunshine. Although Spring is my favourite season of the yearly cycle, Summer is always the time to do something wild, new and special. It's time to bring all your friends together and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts. Don't forget to PARTY! Lazy Sunday afternoons while having a barbecue with freshly made Pimps are the best! Summer is the only season when I regret not living near the seaside or having a house on the Malibu beach. That would be just awesome! 

This year I have decided to challenge myself to read a book a week and here is my LIST OF 12 SUMMER READS I am going to take on! It all starts on June 1st 2014 :) Let the adventures begin!! I cannot wait to get lost in the world of these 12 wonderful stories. 




JUNE

CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE by Cassandra Clare
We have been waiting years and months for this final book in the Mortal Instruments series. And Ms Clare has finally published this well expected and definitely-looked-forward-to last instalment. We have been promised six deaths and snippets from the book have been regularly posted online to keep us guessing. As soon as I am holding this book in my hands, it will be read and brought everywhere with me. 


UNSTICKY by Sarra Manning
I have fallen under the spell of Ms Manning's writing. It's modern, totally relate able and always makes you cry and laugh. The female characters in her book are always going through similar problems as yourself, so you get hooked on the story immediately. A great and light hearted summer reading.




THE EDGE OF ALWAYS by J. A. Redmerski
The Edge of Always is a second instalment to best selling e-book The Edge of Never. We follow the story of Camryn and Andrew after they found their happily ever after. But will their life go according to their plan or will something happen and the destiny will change the course?


THE SPECTACULAR NOW by Tim Tharp
Seen the film, purchased the novel. An indie film which got me glued to the screen. Let's see if the book is as good as the film. Generally speaking, I always prefer the book which might be due to the fact that I always read the book first, but this time the film caught my attention first and the book has found its way onto my book shelf afterwards. Experiment in progress!



JULY

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green
This story made cry millions of readers around the world. The film adaptation is reaching the big screen soon, so the time has come for me to find out the story of Hazel and Augustus. I have been warn to purchase a box of tissues and box of chocolates to get me through this emotional story. 


FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell
Hands down, Rainbow Rowel is my favourite author. Every book I read, I absolutely love. It all started with Eleanor & Park, gone through Attachments and now it's time for Fangirl. I have recently watch the review of this book on YouTube and apparently this is the first book which made the book reviewer cry. That means I am expecting big things. Let's hope I will not be disappointed. 



ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins
A new YA author has emerged and took the world by storm. Anna and French Kiss is a multi-selling book in many countries and promises a great romance. Plus there is the fact that it takes place in Paris  - my favourite place in the world. I am really looking forward to read about this coming of age novel. I do like a good YA novel!


THE MONSTRUOLOGIST by Rick Yancey
This book has been recommended by many book reviewers and book addicts and I cannot wait to actually start reading it. It's a fantasy story with misters in the style of creepiness expect from Adams Family...



AUGUST

ON THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac
Classic book by an amazing author. One of my new years resolutions was to start reading more classical literature and this story has made an impact on so many. Jack Kerouac is one of the best authors of last century and ON THE ROAD is legendary. I liked the film, let's find out if I am impressed with the original. 

TEARDROP by Lauren Kate
I loved the Fallen series by this author, it's time to find out if Teardrop and its unusual story can measure up. Not everyday you read about a girl so heartbroken that she cried out an ocean. 



VALLEY OF THE DOLLS by Jacqueline Susann
My housemate / best friend / co-author of this blog, Claire, recommended this book to me years ago. But somehow, I haven't found the time and the inspiration to read this story. And that is why I have decided to put it on the list. It's time for me to take it down from the book shelf and find out what this iconic story is about. 

NORTHERN LIGHTS by Phillip Pullman
Yes, I must be the only bookworm who haven't read Pullman's HIS DARK MATERIALS. I have tried years ago but it didn't impress me much, so hopefully this time around, it will be different and I will be able to read this series. I purchased a brand new - very gorgeous - edition of this series. 



So there you have it. 12 books - my summer reading challenge! What books are on your list? Any particular piece of literature you would recommend for me to read? I am always looking to expand my horizons with new adventures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment