Saturday 14 June 2014

JUNE BOOK BONANZA

Summer is here!!! Finally! 

Can you feel the sun on your skin yet? I certainly can and I am trying to get best out of it. Preparation includes:


  • Summer Clothes Shopping - my credit card is doing more exercise than me.
  • Toning up with toneitup.com - their workouts are quick and efficient, not to mention that their meal will make you all healthy with their delicious recipes.
  • Reading lots of books while buying even more.
  • Festival attending with my sister and dancing wild to the sweet sound of music.
  • Enjoying Bike Rides on my sparkling new Pendleton Ashwell Bike. Oh yes, I am going all vintage and active. 

There is my summer plan. What's yours? As you know, I am currently doing two Summer Reading Challenges which basically mean that I have three months to read twenty books, can I do it? I don't know, but I will certainly try.. fingers crossed you will have a lot of book reviews to read. 

But in the meantime, here is my regular post - Monthly Book Bonanza. Now, I am not sure if I have mentioned this before, but I am a shopaholic and undercover book addict, so I have actually two major problems. Combine them and you will end up with about six brand new books every month. My reading is growing each month. And there isn't enough hours in the day for me to read all of them... I wish there would be.. But sadly, there isn't so there for I am trying to read with lightening speed to make sure I can soak up as many wonderful story as possible.

Let's have a look what the month of June brought to my library.


JUNE BOOK BONANZA




THE LAND OF DECORATION by Grace McCleen

My name is Judith McPherson. I am ten years old. On Monday a miracle happened. 


Judith doesn't have much. The house she shares with her devoutly religious father is full of dusty relics, reminders of the mother Judith never knew. Bullied at school, she finds comfort in creating a miniature world in her bedroom - a world of wonder she calls The Land of Decoration. Perhaps, she thinks, if she makes it snow in The Land of Decoration there will be  no school on Monday. 

Sure enough, when Judith opens her curtains the next day, the world beyond her window has turned white. And that's when her troubles begin. 




ATONEMENT by Ian McEwan

On the hottest day of the summer of 1935, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis sees her sister Cecilia strip off her clothes and plunge into the fountain in the garden of her country house. Watching her is Robbie Turner, her childhood friend who, like Cecilia, has recently come down from Cambridge. 

By the end of that day the lives of all three will have been changed for ever. Robbie and Cecilia will have crossed a boundary they had not even imagined at its start, and will have become victims of the younger girl's imagination. Briony will have witnessed mysteries and committed a crime for which she will spend the rest of her life trying to atone. 



THE DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper knows she's not the hottest girl at school, but when school jock and resident moron Wesley casually refers to her as a Duff - Designated Ugly Fat Friend - the gloves are off!

If there's a thin line between love and hate then Bianca has crossed it. She just never thought she was capable of breaking anyone's heart...



CLOSE MY EYES by Sophie McKenzie

It's been eight years since Geniver Loxley lost her daughter, Beth. 

Since that day, Gen has been floundering. While her husband Art builds his business reputation and their fortune, she can't let go of Beth. 

And then one day, everything changes. A strange woman shows up on Gen's doorstep, saying the very thing she longs to hear: that Beth is alive. That she is out there somewhere, waiting for Gen to find her...

It's insane. Unthinkable. But why would someone make up such a story? Ignoring the warnings of her husband and friends, Gen begins to hope - hope that quickly turns into fear and paranoia. 

With questions swirling around her head, Gen is determined to uncover the truth. But who can she trust? Why is Art so reluctant to get involved? To save his wife from further hurt? Or something much more sinister? Is Beth even really out there? And, if so, who is responsible for taking her?

What is the truth about Beth Loxley?


WOOL by Hugh Howey

In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations. But some people choose not to conform. These are the people who dare to hope and dream. These are the dangerous ones. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last...


LITTLE WOMEN by Louisa May Scott

A personal treat to myself. This classic story is one of my favourites from the childhood. And Penguin Publishing house brought out one of the most beautiful edition of this book. Released by Penguin Threads, the cover of this book has been firstly hand stitched and then a copy has ben made and put on the cover of this exclusive edition. It's so beautiful and I am so happy about adding into my personal library. 


What beautiful stories have found a place in your library this month? Please share your finds with me in the comments below. I am always looking for new adventures :) 

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome ! very beautiful collection of books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Farah :) I am really looking forward to read The Land of Decoration and The Duff especially :)

      Delete