Wednesday 4 June 2014

Nathan Filer : THE SHOCK OF THE FALL

THE SHOCK OF THE FALL  has been voted for a Costa Book Of The Year 2013. Mr Nathan Filer blew  the critics' minds with brave unique story which touched the hearts of thousands.



"Deeply moving." THE TIMES

"Dark, touching, sweet and funny and beautifully written." JO BRAND

"Bittersweet and wonderfully etched." DAILY TELEGRAPH

"Compelling." OBSERVER

"Terrific. Engaging, funny and inventive." JOE DUNTHORNE, author of SUBMARINE



First impression of the book were great. Wonderful deep green cover with gold drawing and white writing. It catches your eyes immediately. And then there is the intriguing summary of the story on the back:


'I'll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name's Simon. I think you're going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he'll be dead. And he was never the same after that.'



Intrigued?!?! I certainly was. So here I am with my own copy getting lost in the story.

Let's meet Matthew Homes. The first time we enter Matt's life he is on a holiday with his family and is enjoying the little troubles of child's life. That is until a great tragedy strikes and Matt's brother Simon dies. And ever since then nothing seems to be the same. Even Matt. 


Wow... This story got me hooked straight from the start. First couple of pages and the author's engaging and dark writing made me want to read on and find out what has happened in Matt's life. I was intrigued, excited and worried about what I am going to find.



Although the main theme of this book is very daring, the author manages to make it different from others. For the first time I am pleasantly surprised with the brave subject of the book -  a mental health and the person struggling with his confused mind. I, for once, loved the the how brave the writer is. This story is so real, dark and bittersweet. We have a unique view into the world of the less fortune (at least when in comes to mental he alt). I was fascinated by Matt's story. Everything he went through left a permanent mark on me and I will never look at the world the same way.







Modern. Sometimes quite hard to read, but absolutely mind-blowing. This story is a true original and deserves the title 'BOOK OF THE YEAR'.



It took me a little while to get used to skipping between different time periods in Matt's life, but once I understood what is going on, everything became clear. This is how it works in his mind. He, himself, is confused, so of course the story telling will be confusing from time to time. We cannot expect a straight forward story in this case. That wouldn't be real and so deeply moving!!!





Hats off to the designer of the book. I am not sure if it was the request of the author or the editorial team, but I have admired the fact that the book is partially written on typewriter and partially on the computer. It blends with the story. And so do the letters and illustrations. It truly is a real life experience. The reader will be sucked into Matthew's life and his confused mind. We will learn more about the mental health and the state of human's mind.

This story is original. Touching. Wonderfully written. It makes you see the bad in the world but it also prepares you for the good. BEAUTIFUL.

Fantastic job, Mr Filler! I look forward to reading more of your works.

Another British talent has been born...



4 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! Have you read it? if so, did you like it as much as I did? xo

      Delete
    2. I haven't read it yet but I will surely do! Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Not a problem. If you do, let me know what you think xo

      Delete