Wednesday 6 August 2014

JULY & AUGUST BOOK BONANZA

Summer Holiday time is here... I hope you are all enjoying the sunshine and wonderful weather which is making our days better. I, myself, have full hands of work. Not only I challenge myself to Summer Reading Challenge, which I am well behind (for which I do apologise), but I went to see my family and spent some quality time with my friends... I even took up on a new hobby - hiking.

But don't fret! I haven't forgotten about you my lovely readers. I know the posts haven't been as regular as usual, but I am slowly getting back on the track. Of course, I am trying to post book reviews as soon as I finish the book, but please be patient with me, sometimes it takes time to fully enjoy reading that particular story. And then it takes a little longer. But don't worry.. I have found some time to start planning and soon you can look forward to some more posts. 

Take the July & August Book Bonanza. It's been long time coming. I didn't have much time to post the book bonanzas for each month separately, so when I sat down to write this post and share with you my latest finds and buys, I discovered that I have over 20 new books in my library.. I really start to think that I have a problem... Do you?

But back to the point.. Here is July & August Book Bonanza. It's big. It's good. And it knock your socks off. We have some great books by brilliant authors on the list. I have decided to divide them into five different categories. I hope you find one or two which will peek your interest. 


JULY & AUGUST BOOK BONANZA


The Books soon to have a Film Adaptation:



IF I STAY by Gayle Forman

The last thing Mia remembers is the music. 

After the accident, she can still hear it. And she can see her damaged body being taken from the wreck of her parents' car - even though she can't feel a thing. 
All she can do is watch as doctors rush to save her life, as her friends and relatives gather outside her room, as the boy she loves struggles to be near her. 
As the next twenty-four hours unfold, Mia must come to terms with what came before the crash - and what could come after. And she knows she must make the most difficult choice of all.  
If she stays...


WHERE SHE WENT by Gayle Forman

It's been three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life. And three years he's spend wondering why. 

When their paths cross again in New York City, Adam and Mia are brought back together for one life-changing night. 
Adam finally has the opportunity to ask Mia the questions that have been hating him. But will a few hours in this magical city be enough to lay their past to rest, for good - or can you really have a second chance at first love?



The Bright Books and their Even Brighter Covers: 



THE MANIFESTO ON HOW TO BE INTERESTING by Holly Bourne

Apparently I'm boring. A nobody. But that's all about to change. Because I am starting a project. Here. Now. For myself. And if you want to come along for the ride then you're very welcome. 

Bree is by no means popular. Most of the time, she hates her life, her school, her never-there parent. So she writes. 
But when Bree is told she needs to stop shutting the world out and start living a life worth writing about, THE MANIFESTO ON HOW TO BE INTERESTING is born. A manifesto that will change everything... 
... but the question is, at what cost?



SOLITAIRE by Alice Oseman

'I don't ever remember not being serious. As far as I'm concerned, I came out of the of the womb spouting cynicism and wishing for rain.'

My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that's all over now.
Now there's Solitaire. And Michael Holden. 
I don't know what Solitaire are trying to do. And I don't care about Michael Holden. I really don't. 



The Books for Your Heart and Soul:



THE REASON I JUMP by Naoki Higashida

One boy's voice from the silence of autism. 



NEVER LET ME GO by Kazuo Ishiguro

In one of the most acclaimed novels of recent years, Kazuo Ishiguro imagines the lives of a group of students growing up in a darkly skewed version of contemporary England. Narrated by Kathy, now thirty-one, NEVER LET ME GO dramatises her attempts to com to terms with her childhood at the seemingly idyllic Hailsham School and with the fate that has always awaited her and her closest friends in the wider world. A story of love, friendship and memory, NEVER LET ME GO is charged throughout with a sense of the fragility of life. 


THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS by  M. R. Carey

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks 
they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh. 


LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins

I have three simple wishes. The first is to attend the winter formal dressed like Marie Antoinette. The second is for my parents to approve of my boyfriend. And my third wish? To never ever ever see the Bell twins ever again. Ever. 

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion... she believes in costume. The more expressive outfit - the more sparkly, more wild - the better. And life is pretty close to perfect for Lola, especially with her hot rocker boyfriend. 
That is, until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighbourhood and unearth a past of hurt that Lola thought was long buried. So when talented inventor Cricket steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally face up to a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. 


LANDLINE by Rainbow Rowell

Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. It's been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and he still loves her - but that almost seems besides the point now. 
Two days before they're supposed to visit Neal's family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells him that she can't go. She's a TV writer and something's come up on her show, she has to stay in  Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her - he is always a little upset with her - but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go home without her. 
When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she's finally done it. If she's ruined everything. 
That night, Georgie discovered a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It's not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she's been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts...
Is that what she's supposed to do? Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?



The YA Novels for 
Every Girl or Woman :



SKIN DEEP by Laura Jarratt

'I wanted to say this morning, only you ran off... Sorry if I was rude.' The boy from the boat grinned, looking straight at me. 'You surprised me, that's all. The scar' - he touched his face - 'took me by surprise. I didn't mean to be rude.' I gaped at him. Nobody ever, ever mentioned the scars.'

After the car crash that leaves her best friend dead, Jenna struggles to rebuild her life. But every stare in the street, every glance in the mirror, makes her want to hide away. And then Ryan turns up - a tall, good-looking traveller unlike anyone Jenna's ever met before. 
Can he help to put her world back together, or will he just break her heart?


WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart

We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken. A tale of love and romance. A tale of tragedy. Which are lies? Which is truth? You decide. 


SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE by Morgan Matson

Emiy's best friend Sloane disappears, almost without a trace - the only thing left behind is a to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that wallflower Emily wouldn't normally do, and definitely not without her best friend. But what if completing the list could bring Sloane back?
Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?
Kiss a stranger? Um...
Go skinny dipping? Wait...what?
Emily only has the summer to check everything off Sloane's list. The question is, what will she find at the end of it?


LOUDER THAN WORDS by Laura Jarratt

Words on a page ... they're beautiful, powerful. 
Words in my mouth... they don't work. 

They choke up inside me and won't come out. My pen has a freedom my mouth has never had. The last person I spoke to was my brother, Silas, and I was six. Since then, not a word. Silas says he'd give anything to hear me speak again. Now I sit here and think the same thing about him. 


LOVE LETTERS TO THE DEAD by Ava Dellaira

Sometimes the best letters go unanswered.

It begins as an assignment for English class: write a letter to a dead person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain - he died young, And so did Laurel's sister May - so maybe he'll understand what Laurel is going through. 
Soon Laurel is writing letters to lots of dead people - Janis Joplin, Heath Ledger, River Phoenix, Amelia Earhart, Amy Winehouse..It's like she can't stop. She writes about her new high school, her new friends, her first love - and her shattered life. 
But the ghosts of Laurel's past can't be contained between the lines of a page forever. She must face up to them - before they consume her. 


MY LIFE NEXT DOOR by Huntley Fitzpatrick

On one summer night, everything changed. 

Life in Samantha Reed's home is neat and clean and orderly - precisely planned by her local politician mother. Next door, at the Garretts', things are loud, messy, and irresistible. And when gorgeous Jase Garrett climbs the trellis outside her bedroom and enters her life, she finds herself falling passionately in love with him and everything he brings with him. The only hitch is, she's got to hide it from her mother. Then something unthinkable happens, and Samantha is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?



The Books from Book Series:



THE SCORCH TRIALS by James Dashner

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escaping meant he would get his life back. But no one knew what sort of life they were going back to...
Burned and baked, the earth is a wasteland, its people driven mad by an infection known as the Flare. 
Instead of freedom, Thomas must face another trial. He must cross the Scorch to once again save himself and his friends...


THE CURSE OF THE WENDIGO by Rick Yancey

The montrumologist Dr Warthrop and his assistant Will Henry are in pursuit of the ultimate predator, a creature that is neither alive nor dead, which starves even as it gorges itself on human flesh.. the Wendigo. 
The doctor is convinced that no such beast can possibly exist, until someone from his past convinces him a Wendigo has captured her husband, and he and Will travel to the Canadian wilderness to discover the truth. 
When they finally track down the man they return with him to New York, only to see him transform into a Wendigo before their eyes. Now Dr Warthrop can no longer deny the truth behind the legend and with a Wendigo on the loose in the metropolis, it's up to the monstrumologist and his assistant to catch the beast before it's too late...


THE ISLE OF BLOOD by Rick Yancey

The Monstrumologist Dr Warthrop has abandoned a devasted Will Henry to go in search of "The Holy Grail of Monstrumology" with his new assistant, Arkwright. But when Arkwright returns to New York alone, with news of the Doctor's death, Will doesn't believe him - and determines to find the Doctor, alive or dead. 
Will's search leads him to Socotra - the Isle of Blood - where the Doctor was last seen alive, and blood rains from the sky. The island is home to the most bizarre and mysterious monsters Will has ever seen - but will they also be the last things he ever sees?


SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi

I have a curse. I have a gift. 
I'm a monster. I'm more than human. 
My touch is lethal. My touch is power.
I am their weapon. I will fight back.

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time - and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.


SLATED by Teri Terry

Kyla's memory has been erased, her personality wiped blank, her memories lost for ever. 
She's been Slated. 

The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla's mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?



So which one will make it on your reading list? Have you already read any of them? If so, please let me know how you like the story in comments below. I am looking forward to some recommendations from you guys. Until next time.... Have a fatabulous time :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment