Monday 4 August 2014

Stephanie Perkins: ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS


ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS is a young adult novel written by Stephanie Perkins. Ms Perkins wrote a series of love stories which are inspired by some of the most gorgeous cities in the world. And as the title suggest, Anna And The French Kiss is taking place on the beautiful backgrounds of the City Of Love & Lights  - Paris.


Ms Perkins wrote one of the best-selling novels in Young Adult genre this year. And no wonder... This book is a typical example of young adult romance story which will make you weep and laugh. And there is the happy ending which guarantees no dry eyed reader. 






Anna is a teenage girl who's dad shipped her off to Paris to gain some life experience while studying her final year of high school in prestigious School of America in the heart of Paris. Firstly, Anna isn't happy about his order which leaves her alone without her family and friends. But when she starts to settle down and meets fellow classmates who take her under their wings. And of course, there is the boy... THE BOY - Etienne St Clair, who makes everything so much better. Anna starts to like Etienne, but there is a little problem, he has been in a relationship with Ellie for over a year. Is Anna heading for a heartache in the City of Love or will everything work out the way everyone wants and hope?






This is a sweet, heart-warming story about falling in love for the first time. It's about finding the right person for you and it actually explains what being in love with somebody really means. I always used to say that Stephanie Meyer's Twilight would be my choice for young girls to explain falling in love, but Ms Perkins managed to write a story which is so much better and more real. Not everything goes according to the plan. There are bumps and complications on the road to find your true love. But Ms Perkins manages to capture the feelings and happenings of falling for somebody in the right light. It's funny, modern, down-to-earth, heart-fell and on some occasions heartbreaking...



It will have you glued to the pages and you'll find yourself turning pages without knowing how. It's so easy to read and follow. You won't want to put it down, all you will be saying: "Just one more chapter..."


Anna is a wonderful character, so relate able to so many young women out there, who are dealing with similar problems. She has a mess in her feelings and is trying to figure out her place in the world. Etienne is the boy to die for. He seems perfect to start with but as we continue to get to know him, we find out that he is a bit of a scary cat when it comes to dealing with girls and break ups. My favourite characters are the couple who did not make it at the end - Josh and Rashmi. Although their personalities clash, they still manage to stay friends and help each other. Rashmi is a girl who is careful with her affection towards others as she has been burnt by her best friend (Ellie left her behind when she has gone to college.) and Josh is a fun-loving, irresponsible artist who does everything in the world to be more irresponsible. But these two are great friends who, when you are in trouble, are there for you.



The main reason why I really enjoyed reading this book, was the fact that it takes place in Paris. I cannot even begin to describe my huge obsession and love for this place and the author managed to make me miss it even more. Ms Perkins beautifully described the gorgeous City of Lights and I got lost in walks with the characters. I am definitely booking some holiday time next year in spring so I can spend it and get even more inspired by this romantic city.


All in all, I have enjoyed this story. It was romantic and funny and very relate able, but sometimes I felt like in a teenage film or TV drama series. But I will read it again in distant future and recommend for all romantics and fans of YA genre out there to give it a try and get lost in this Parisian tale.



Quotes from this sweet story about first love: 

“For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” 

“The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.”

“I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul.”

“Girl scouts didn't teach me what to do with emotionally unstable drunk boys.” 


“And I realize ... it’s okay. It’s okay if St. Clair and I never become more than friends. His friendship alone has strengthened me in a way that no one
else’s ever has. He swept me from my room and showed me independence. In other words, he was exactly what I needed. I won’t forget it. And I certainly
don’t want to lose it.”


“I spent the period reading the first novel assigned for English. And wow. If I hadn't realized I was in France yet, I do now. Because Like Water for Chocolate has sex in it. LOTS of sex.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment