Thursday 16 July 2015

Colleen Hoover : UGLY LOVE

Warning!! So many feels.... I cannot even describe...



UGLY LOVE is a contemporary YA novel, which broke many hearts out there,  written by Colleen Hoover.


This was a first novel I have read by this author. I have been recommended books from her pen by many of my fellow book reviewers and book lovers, but the reason I have finally decided to read it is simple. Two words. NICK BATEMAN... I don't I have to explain it further. Just look at his Instagram account: @nick_bateman , it will explained it all without any words needed.


I have also heard great reviews about the novel itself. Many fangirls out there were mentioning the name Miles Archer, so I thought, it's time to find out why are these girls obsessing about him so much.

And what I have found, blew my mind and brought me to my knees.


*****

It's not exactly love at first sight for Tate Collins when she meets the tormented and secretive Miles Archer. They wouldn't even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is a mutual physical attraction that can't be denied. Once their desires are out in the open, they realise they might have stumbled on the perfect no-strings arrangement. He isn't looking for love, and she doesn't have time for it - so that leaves just the sex. What they've got could be surprisingly satisfying, as long as Tate can stick to the two rules Miles has for her: never ask about the past, don't expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but everything is different when real emotions start to change the equation. HEARTS GET INFILTRATED. PROMISES GET BROKEN. RULES GET SHATTERED. LOVE GETS UGLY.

*****

Firstly, let me just say that the blur on the back of the book doesn't give a justice to the story itself. The tale of Miles and Tate is so much more. Even I wasn't expecting it.



But let's start with the easy part first. The edition. I own the American paperback published in 2014 by ATRIA. 322 pages. 39 amazing chapters. The cover is blue with big bold letters announcing the title - UGLY LOVE. It's simple, yet effective and eye-catching. I specially ordered this edition as I wasn't that impressed with the UK one. I just prefer the simple design.

The writing. Let me tell you something... you are in for a treat. It's easy to read. Fast paced. Exciting. Sexy. Packed with humour at times. This story is a wonderful love-story. An original masterpiece within the YA genre.



There is so much sexual tension that even the sharpest knife wouldn't be able to cut through it. Ms Hoover could teach E.L.James a thing or two. I absolutely adore the interaction between Tate and Miles. It's amazing to follow these two and their relationship. And the love they share... Wow.. I cannot even describe what I am feeling right now. This book is a treasure. But it is a Pandora Box at the same time too. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying because I hated it. The opposite is true. This book is a box of feelings and emotions which when they are realised they will consume you. I have cried. I have laughed out loud. I was giddy. I was sad. Emotional roller-coaster. I was a wreck reading it. It took over my life for wonderful 9 hours. I just couldn't put it down. Straight from the start I was hooked. It took over my being and wouldn't let go until I finished the story. And I don't regret a single minute spent reading it.

Two words for it : MILES ARCHER. I can happily say, I can understand all the girls around the world gushing about him. I am now a part of the crowd. I have become a groupie. This boy.. Wow.. Colleen Hoover just completely destroyed any possibility of me ever falling in love. Nobody will come even close to this guy...  He is complicated. He is sexy. He is beautiful. And he has mysterious past which follows him everywhere. But you cannot help but fall in love with him. Because he is also sensitive. Thoughtful. Romantic even when he doesn't what to be and he loves... He loves with all his heart.



TATE COLLINS is a great female lead. She isn't flawless. She is determined workaholic. She is smart, beautiful and wears her heart on her sleeve. And she wants to save Miles. She wants him to love again. And she never gives up on him, even if she breaks her heart in the progress...

I loved how the story interlines with Miles' past and what has happened. I wasn't expecting the big revelation, but it made the story that more special. I don't think I have ever read similar story before. Yes, we know about the usual : girl meets a bad boy; girl tries to save the bad boy; they fall in love in the process.. But no one else previously took approach the same way Ms Hoover did.

Yes, this story is heart-shattering, emotional, sad.... It makes your heart cry out loud.. But it's worth the read. UGLY LOVE is a sexy tale of love and its ugliness when it all goes wrong. It's powerful. It's mesmerising. It will leave you speechless.




Thank You! Thank You! THANK YOU MS HOOVER!! I forgive you for shattering my heart, because you have brought Miles Archer into my life.

I cannot wait to re-read this story again! In the meantime, I can always re-watch the trailer teaser for the film adaptation coming out next year. And there is always Nick Bateman's Instagram account to keep me occupy and day-dreaming. I do want to have his babies ;)



Thank you Colleen Hoover for sharing your UGLY LOVE tale with the world.

2 comments:

  1. You take the prettiest pictures! Great review. I really want to read a Colleen Hoover book now.
    Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Chioma! That's so nice of you to say! Yes, you should give this book a go, you won't regret it ;-) xoxo

      Delete