Tuesday 28 July 2015

Morgan Matson : AMY & ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR

Warning!! This summer is all about the road trip novels. And this is an original within all of them!



AMY & ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR is a novel which skyrocketed the wonderful Morgan Matson to YA royalty.


This is not the first book I've read from this author's pen. But I made a point to buy all her books after reading Since You've Been Gone novel earlier this year. And since the summer has arrived I have decided to devote my time to summer novels such as this one. Road trips are on my mind ever since then... I think that there might be one in my future...

*****

Amy Curry's year sucks. And it's not getting any better. Her mother has decided to move, so somehow Amy has to get their card from California to the East Coast. There's just one problem: since her father's death Amy hasn't been able to get behind the wheel of a car. Enter Roger, the son of a family friend, who turns out to be funny, nice... and unexpectedly cute.

But Roger's plans involve a more 'scenic' route that just driving from A to B, so suddenly Amy finds herself on the road trip of a lifetime. And, as she grows closer to Roger, Amy starts to realise that sometimes you have to get lost to find your way home...

*****



Firstly, let's talk about the edition. I own a paperback published in 2011 by Simon & Schuster! 344 pages divided into 6 sections. There is a picture of a couple holding hands, standing on road looking ahead. I assume that this is Amy & Roger. What I like most about this book is that it includes things like photographs, receipts, playlists... It's like reading Amy & Roger's travel journal. What a beautiful, original design. One of my favourites!


The writing. It is easy to read. Very modern. Funny. Exciting. Sad at times. Emotional. And very addictive. I was hooked straight from the start and couldn't put it down.


The story itself is absolutely breath-taking and mesmerising. There is just so much pain Amy carries around with her. I laughed. I cried. I giggled.. I absolutely fell in love with this tale. It's a beautifully written tale of love, friendship, guilt... It's not just a normal usual road trip where you look around the unusual attraction, the nature, the scenic views, the time alone with the cute boy.. It's a road trip which will change your life you and your life forever. A road trip to find yourself and a forgiveness which you don't think you deserve. It's about the strength you need to overcome your problems.



I love how these two decided to be spontaneous and drive... drive without a proper destination. They wanted to be free.. They wanted the time off from their troubled past and relationship. And on the way they discovered what they have been looking for, even when they didn't realise it at first. Amy needed to forgive herself. And Roger needed to realise that he is chasing a dream - a beautiful girl with cold heart.


I love the relationship between the two main characters. It was safe at the start, not rushed, but real. As they spent more time together, they get to know each other. They started to care for each other and they helped each other. They have a charisma about them. You just couldn't help but have fingers crossed for them to discover their mutual feelings they harness for each other. I adore how they support each other along the way. They shared their secrets and worries.


And I absolutely loved how Ms Matson captured the straighten relationships after Amy's dad's passing. The gap which has grown between Charlie and Amy. The fact that Amy doesn't feel like anyone in her family wants to talk to her... not even her own mother. She is shutting her out, moving on and Amy can't even catch her breath before they are moving into a new state, into a new house.. and leaving past behind. She captures the raw emotions so commonly present after an important person passes. It was sad. It was heart-shattering. It made you reach for your box of Kleenex. 



This story is full of sadness, pain, but also full of love and easy developing friendships. It was great to see how wonderful were Roger's friends to Amy. They welcomed her into their circle of trust and gave an important task - to save Roger for the claws of his ex-girlfriend. But Amy wasn't just going to steal him away. She gave him a freedom of choice and ability to decide what he wants even when it would hurt her.

All in all I have truly fell in love with the wonderful tale. I couldn't put it down, until I was finished with the last page. The ending is open.. The readers can make their own ending - I definitely know what would a perfect ending to the novel for me. 

I have grown to adore road trips and contemporary YA.. They all inspire me to plan my own road trip around USA and hopefully help to discover who I truly supposed to be.




Another well done Morgan Matson. You have made feel a full scale of emotions, but it was worth it. I cannot wait to read more from your pen.

Road trip anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment