Tuesday 3 November 2015

Sarra Manning : IT FELT LIKE A KISS

Warning! Every girl has a dream of their dad to be a rock star, but if your dream does actually come true and becomes a total nightmare?



IT FELT LIKE A KISS is a new adult novel written by the wonderfully talented Sarra Manning.

Ms Manning is the author of one of my favourite books - You Don't Have To Say You Love Me. That book put her writing skills on a pedestal and since then it's really hard to fill its shoes. Only one of her books managed to impress me enough to give it 5 stars - Adorkable. But I am not giving up on her works just yet, and I keep reading her books. Therefore I included IT FELT LIKE A KISS on my September TBR list.

*****

Ellie Cohen is living her dream. A great job at an exclusive Mayfair art gallery, loyal mates, loving family, and really, really good hair. Well, there's the famous rock-star father who refuses to acknowledge her and a succession of 'challenging' boyfriends, but nobody's perfect.

But when a vengeful ex sells Ellie out to the press, she suddenly finds herself fighting to keep her job, her reputation and her sanity. Then David Gold - handsome, charming but ruthlessly ambitious - is sent in to manage the media crisis ... and Ellie.

David thinks she's a gold-digger and Ellie thinks he's a shark in a Savile Row suit, so it's just as well that falling in love is the last thing on their minds...

*****



So let's have a little talk about this book. First thing first - the edition. I own the paperback published in 2014 by Corgi Books, an imprint of Transworld Publishers. 480 pages. 36 chapters. The cover is toned in lovely pastel colours of blue and pink shades. On the front cover, is a picture of a man and a woman gazing at each other with London skyline in their background. It's quite a fun, quite girly cover. 

The writing. In the true Manning's fashion the writing is fun, modern, relatable and very english. I love Ms Manning's female characters. I always find myself mesmerised by their stories and similar characteristics to my own personality. And I do appreciate that almost every single novel takes place in United Kingdom. As a resident of this lovely country, I always appreciate books taken place some place familiar.

What I haven't realise when I first picked up this book, is the fact that it's kind of a sequel (continuum?) of Manning's previous novel 'UNSTICKY'. The main characters of the previously mentioned novel aren't major game players in this story, but they do make an appearance. Which I think is a fantastic touch. Especially as I did enjoy this book a little more that the its previous sister.



Now, for the story. It's quite a captivating tale. A little on the Cinderella side. A girl's past come to a light in the most unexpected way. Her father, famous musician, abandoned her and her mother when she was a baby and he hasn't been a part of Ellie's life ever since. But when the vultures, aka paparazzi, get the whiff of Ellie and her connection to world famous rock star, Ellie's up-until-then simple, yet satisfying life, is thrown into chaos. She is followed everywhere by paparazzi and false gossips. And not to mention, that her guardian in this chaos, a lawyer of her father, is incredibly hot and un-optainable.

What I like about the plot of the story is that the author put on the paper what every girl dreams about. What it would be like to have a famous parent? Is it a fairytale like we imagined or a scary nightmare we fear of? Not to mention the subject of being followed by paparazzi on every corner and been a victim of vicious gossips which can ruin lives. You start to be more sympathetic towards celebrities and their hectic lives.

But having said that, even though this novel has been hilarious at times, it still didn't make a lasting impression like YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE. I loved that novel from the start and I feel it set the bar really high. Unfortunately, to this day, none of Ms Manning's new adult novels managed to get under my skin like her first one. 



IT FELT LIKE A KISS is a mediocre novel. A cute tale to occupy your autumn evening. There are some great issues approached in this novel - mistrust, broken relationships, parents not loving their child, gluttony... It's ok to read, but it fails to impress me to the level when I wouldn't be able to put it down. It's a nice story, but it's not as good as other stories written by this author. But it's a big step up from Unsticky. 

Sarra (do you mind if I call you Sarra?), I am a big fan of your story-telling and creative imagination, I am not giving up on your books, but please return to the likes of YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE or ADORKABLE. Those two tales were so charming and un-put-down-able that I lost many nights of sleep when re
ading them.



IT FELT LIKE A KISS was a good new adult novel, but I am sorry to say it wasn't your best one. But keep on writing and telling tales, so I am able to fall in love with one of your books all over again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment