Monday 23 February 2015

Rebecca Serle : FAMOUS IN LOVE

Warning! You will catch yourself day-dreaming about your famous crushes and what would happen if...



FAMOUS IN LOVE is a contemporary YA romance written by Rebecca Serle. This is my first encounter with Ms Serle's writing. To be honest I have been eyeing the book for quite some time in the local Waterstones, but I only purchased it for my February Reading Challenge.


Well, the reason behind my indecision can be easy explained by re-typing the blur on the back. Now, before I do that I want to make one thing clear. I do like my YA romance books. I am a romantic at heart and I have been waiting for my one true love and the big romantic gesture for years ( and I am still waiting - for some reason either of the Chris's I like ( That's Chris Pine or Chris Evans) still haven't found the little me in the crowd yet - but I am not giving up). And yes I do day-dream meeting the One and have been having crushes on guys for years. So you would thought, that this book will be something I would literally jump the bones to read, but there is just so much romance and believable the authors can use. And this book is the one on no-believable side.


*****

When Paige Townsen gets picked to star in the movie adaptation of a blockbuster book series, her life changes practically overnight. Within a month she's thrown into a world of gossip, rumour and deceit. The only people who know what she's going through are her two male costars, but her feelings for them are getting complicated. Paige knows it's a mistake to fall in love on the set of a movie, but days of on-screen romance start to change her mind. The question is, can she keep what happens behind the scenes a secret when the world is watching her every move?

*****



The Edition. Paperback. 309 pages divided into 24 chapters. It's a little bit on the shorter side of epic romances. But according to the writer's plans this book is the first one in the series. Bright pink colouring with big heart and glitters on the cover. Eye-catching. I kinda enjoy when the graphic designer use bright colours.


The writing. Modern. Easy to read. Funny at times. And quite relate-able. Bella Thorne said that this book gives a good inside to the world of Young Hollywood and what changes are these selected people going through. And I have to agree with her. This book does give a quite a good glimpse of the world behind the scenes - the politics, relationships, mind games, gossip... It's like they never grown out of high school and still play at the playground. It fascinates me and angers me at the same time.


The story. As I said I do love a little bit of romance. And this book has the perfect recipe for making a good love story. A girl's dream comes true. She meets two wonderful handsome princes and ta-da-da a love triangle is born. Of course, throw is some drama, secrets and gossips and you got yourself a perfect romantic comedy millions will fall for. But this one seems to be a bit on the cheesy side. Like a roquefort. The story is quite predictable. You know what will happen as soon as you read the first chapter where is mentioned a synopsis of the book the film Paige is auditioning for. There is no major surprises. The sexual tension between the main love triangle is a little bit bland. It's enjoyable and you do find yourself wanting to know more from Paige's story and who she will choose, but it doesn't make me feel things as extremely as other books I've have read.



Let's talk about the main protagonists in the love triangle. Paige. A girl, who's dreams have just come true. She's landed a role in a blockbuster with two absolutely gorgeous guys who hate each other - Rainer & Jordan. She is a little bit lost in the world which sucked her in and she needs to patiently but quickly learn the ins and outs of the Hollywood. And she is, for the first time, truly falling in love. On the set of the film she is filming. But who she will choose? Rainer who makes her feel safe and cares for her and tries to make her feel as comfortable as possible, but it seems that he loves the attention a little bit too much. And then we have Jordan. Mysterious. Dark and handsome who has a bad boy reputation, but lovely soft heart and makes Paige's knees go week. These two guys have a history and seems to hate each other. Will Paige be another thing they fight about?



I have loved the prologue to this story. It's exciting. It makes you want to find out who is the guys she feels so strongly about. Who she loves the most? The prologue is intriguing and gives you hope that this book won't be as cheesy and predictable, but then the author falls into the expected.



So all in all, it was a nice read for February Reading Challenge. I wouldn't put this book on my absolute favourite list, but I wouldn't completely dismiss is either. So I am quite looking forward to read the second instalment, TRULY, MADLY, FAMOUSLY, is expected to come out on October, 13th  2015. Let's hope Ms Serle will inject some excitement into the story. And I want to get to know Jordan more. I am developing a serious crush on that boy ;-)




You can also download a novella accompanying this book. It's called LOCKED ( so it's the book which film adaptation Paige, Rainer & Jordan are filming). I have been reading it, so I could compare. And to be honest, I wish the author would write more of Locked story, because the novella is way better that the story, the book supposed to inspire. I have enjoyed reading way more than Famous In Love. I hope that the author will write a proper LOCKED story. It would be great - she has a good plot going on. Maybe she could write next Twilight series.



So the verdict Ms Serle is. Your book has a very predictable story line. It seems that the novella which should only be a cool addition to the trilogy is way better and more interesting than your trilogy. Maybe should think about continuing writing it instead of the planned trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment