Sunday 5 May 2013

Erin Morgenstern : THE NIGHT CIRCUS

THE NIGHT CIRCUS is an enchanting story written by American author Erin Morgenstern. I have been recommend this book firstly by my lovely housemate Claire, who nearly forced me to read it and then by one of my team managers who specifically asked me to find her when I finish the book so we can discuss it. That intrigued me even more.

And I have to say that I am so glad that they made me read it. This story is enchanting, charming, beautiful. The writing is absolutely wonderful and the way the book is divided into different sections and we follow various characters in different time frames makes you be on your toes all the time. You just want to read another chapter once you finish the previous one . You want to find out what will happen next! 


The story takes us to two contents. Northern America and its lovely New York and our capital of United Kingdom London. The story starts when we meet Celia when she is 5 years old and delivered with post it note on her coat to live with her famous father The Prospero. Prospero is an illusionist but with a difference. He actually is a true magician and Celia got the gift from her father. He trains her and shows her all the tricks and how to develop her gift. Sometimes he even uses cruel methods to make sure that she is the best one.  But he has a secret agenda on his mind. He wants to put her up in a challenge against his professor's student Marco. So the challenge is set. But we do know when, how, where or what is all this challenge about. We meet more character who later on influence the whole story. We find out that the venue for the challenge is Le Cirque Des Reves - The Circus Of Dreams. And the challenge starts there. But how it will all ends? And how will the individual stories tie up together?




I will not write the plot of this story. The reason is simple. I want you to read the story, because is so fantastic. I love how it slowly unfolds and all the way through you think : What does this mean? Who is this? Why are we jumping 13 years in front? 

I was not able to put this book down because I wanted to find how it all turns out. At the end I was rewarded and it all came together and made sense.

Erin Morgenstern wrote a wonderful, wonderful story. Her writing is incredible. The things she imagined in her head and described to the small details in her book were unbelievable. I could not believe how amazing the world she created was. I wanted to be in that world. I wanted to be a part of the Le Cirque Des Reves!! I wanted to know how to do magic. 

It story is enchanting, charming, amazing.. There is one bad thing I can tell about this novel. Everything was just perfect. 

My favourite chapter of the book was the last chapter - the chat between The Man In A Grey suit and Widget. It was full of quotes I will write down and carry them in my heart. It was true description of how I feel about books and stories. How literature has a massive impact on our lives even without realising it. 

I have to be honest, when I was told about this book, I didn't believe that is as good as they described, but after reading first 10 sentences I was charmed. And I knew that this is a story, which will influence your lives. I had an amazing time reading it and will recommend it to every one I know. 

Erin Morgenstern and her story made the top 3 of my list for future generations. Actually any generation should read this book because it is one in a billion stories. Absolutely incredibly good!!! 

So go on! What are you waiting for ? Put it in the shopping basket and start reading it as soon as you get it. Trust me, you will definitely not regret it. 



I have decided to share with you some of my favourite quotes from the book :

“Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that... there are many kinds of magic, after all.” 

“You're in the right place at the right time, and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that's enough.” 

“We must put effort and energy into anything we wish to change.” 

“The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.”

'There may be decisions to make and surprises in store. Life takes us to unexpected places sometimes. The future is never set in stone, remember that.” 

“The past stays on you the way powdered sugar stays on your fingers. Some people can get rid of it but it’s still there, the events and things that pushed you to where you are now.” 

“I find I think of myself not as a writer so much as someone who provides a gateway, a tangential route for readers to reach the circus. To visit the circus again, if only in their minds, when they are unable to attend it physically. I relay it through printed words on crumpled newsprint, words that they can read again and again, returning to the circus whenever they wish, regardless of time of day or physical location. Transporting them at will. When put that way, it sounds rather like magic, doesn't it? "


No comments:

Post a Comment