Wednesday 17 December 2014

Maureen Johnson, John Green & Lauren Myracle : LET IT SNOW

Warning! Get a cup of hot chocolate, make yourself comfortable and be ready to be attacked by christmas cheer ;-)




LET IT SNOW is a collection of 3 very christmassy holiday romances written by 3 authors and legends of YA contemporary genre - Maureen Johnson, John Green & Lauren Myracle.  And in my humble opinion, it's not only a great Christmas gift, but a perfect Winter read.

When picking books for my December Reading Challenge I have come across this book in my local supermarket. I have heard of it before, but never truly wanted to read it. But then it came to Christmas and was taken over by the christmas cheer. So I decided to let myself get lost in this book. And what a wonderful choice I have made. 



As mentioned, there are 3 different romances in this book but they all tie up together at the end:

Maureen Johnson : THE JUBILEE EXPRESS
John Green : A CHEERTASTIC CHRISTMAS MIRACLE
Lauren Myracle : THE PATRON SAINT OF PIGS



These stories are told from points of different characters with different stories. They are dealing with different issues, but have one thing in common. Actually, scratch that. They have two things in common: A Stuck Train & Love Dilemmas. 

I am going to borrow the blur on the back to describe the general feel of the book:


THE WORST BLIZZARD FOR FIFTY YEARS. 
THREE WINTRY LOVE STORIES. 
ONE MAGICAL NIGHT. 

It's Christmas Eve and Gracetown has been buried by snow. But the weather is more than just an inconvenience. When one girl unexpectedly steps off a stranded train, she sets off a series of life-changing events. Soon fourteen pumped-up cheerleaders will descend on the local Waffle House, the Duke's DVD night will be rudely interrupted for a Twister mission, and a lovesick barista in local Starbucks will determinate the fate of a single teacup pig...



Well.. Let's start with the easy part.. The edition. Mine is the UK paperback edition published in 2013. A beautiful metal blue cover, which shimmers in the light, is complimented with three large white snowflakes. Modern. Eye-catching. And so, so wintery :-) The blur on the back is actually a perfect description for the story hiding inside. 354 pages long.

The writing.. Modern. Very relate able. Easy to read and follow. Entertaining. Funny. So so funny. I found myself in stitches. Because there are no unnecessary over-used descriptions. Straight to the story with the modern style. Write how you think. And that's why I have enjoyed it so much.  I think it's a perfect example of what these three authors are capable of and what kind of stories you can expect from the trio. So if you have never heard of them before, get this book and you get a taste of their writing styles. 

The stories themselves... Well my favourite one was the first one. The Jubilee Express. This story actually sets a course for the rest of them, and it's a perfect introduction. I wasn't very impressed with A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle as I found it long and winding at times, but I love the dynamic between the three main characters in the story. What a wonderful friendship they share. Confession time! I love teacup pigs.. so when I read The Patron Saint of Pigs, I put down the book and spent 30 mins goggling various pictures of teacup pigs while pondering why Addie just cannot see how self-absorbed she is. Seriously.. That girl talks only about her problems. It's annoying, but there is a christmas miracle happening and hopefully she changes her attitude.



I have read this book for the course of the last 3 nights. One story each night so I can form an honest opinion and see the different writing styles. And I must say, as cheesy as these stories are, they are a wonderful Christmas read. Because that is what Christmas is about... Spreading love, joy and cheer all around.  It also helped that they all had a happy ending and we all love a good happy ending. Even the grumpiest of us. I think ( but I haven't read MY TRUE LOVE GAVE TO ME yet..) this collection of stories has just become my favourite Christmas Read. It's a book you will be picking every Christmas period years to come.


Lovely. Funny. Cheertastic. 

This Teacup Pig is too cute to not share the image with you :-) 




No comments:

Post a Comment