Wednesday 31 December 2014

J. R. R. Tolkien : THE HOBBIT

Warning: I hope you have some time off work, as you will not be able to put this book down. Even when you aren't a kid anymore.




THE HOBBIT is beautiful story written by no one other, than the author of the famous and mostly adored trilogy - THE LORD OF THE RINGS, J. R. R. Tolkien.

Confession time. Yes, I must be one of the few adults and readers I know, who have just only read THE HOBBIT. But my explanation for this is simple. As a 15-year-old girl I have decided to tackle THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy and although I loved the story, I wasn't fond of the many long descriptions in the books. It's just so many pages you can describe the forest on. Sadly, this experience has put me off Tolkien's stories for couple of years. But this Christmas I have finally decided to man up and give The Hobbit a go. I have loved all the films, and now I am older, it's time to read this story loved by the whole world.



We all know, probably more you than me, what is story about. The ones, who haven't read the book, can google it, or watch the film adaptations. The ones, who read this incredible story, know the deal.  But I am going to quickly re-type the blur from the back, to give you the recap or quick feel of the story:

Bilbo Baggins enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely travelling further than the pantry of his hobbit-hole in Bag End. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard, Gandalf, and a company of thirteen dwarves arrive on his doorstep to whisk him away on a journey to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo's quiet life turns to exciting adventure and he lives through the most unexpected things he wouldn't dream of before. 




This is a classic story. Many of you consider it one of the most influential book in our generation. I know many people who after reading this masterpiece, became avid readers. I, myself, couldn't agree more. And I am happy to say, that I am very glad that I have finally read The Hobbit!

Let's talk about the look first. I have bought a kiddy edition which is illustrated by Jemina Catlin. Hardback. 375 pages long. It's quite a big and heavy book, but one of the most beautiful hardbacks I own. Cloth bound with illustrations on the front and back. Magnificent.



The story.. well what can I say. I loved it. Every single page. Every single chapter. What a wonderful adventure packed with twists and turns. No unnecessary descriptions. I love it. Very suitable for children. Especially if there is a hole in their hearts after reading Harry Potter series. I can understand why so many people became readers after reading this book. It's wonderful. Thrilling. Exciting.

The writing is easy to follow and understand. Not once I had to reach for dictionary or google strange words. I have fully understood it. No winding writing, actually it's pretty queer and keeps you interesting all the way through the story. There isn't one chapter I thought boring. I adored it all. It baffles my mind how much thought Tolkien put into writing this book. All the details, the history, the language. It's mind-blowing. And a pleasure to read. And kind makes me want to give The Lord of The Rings another go.

The characters is this book are a colourful scheme of good and bad. But they are so alive and have traits of many human characteristics we can easily relate to. Bilbo Baggins' character is well develop and keeps on giving.




Of course, seeing all 3 films first, I couldn't help but compare, but this time I can truly say that I loved the spins they put in the films. I loved the book itself, but the film adaptations are wonderful too. I admire Peter Jackson for created this wonderful world for big screens! All I want to do now, is visit the Hobbit Holes in New Zealand.

All in all. I am extremely happy I gave Mr Tolkien another go. I have truly enjoy this marvellous adventure of little hobbit with 13 dwarves and wizard who always has a secret. What a wonderful read I will make sure to share with generations to come. Spectacular reading time well spent.


No comments:

Post a Comment