Monday 6 April 2015

Kasie West : THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US

Warning! If you are a fan of contemporary YA genre, this book is a MUST READ for you! And box of tissues is recommended.



THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US is a contemporary YA novel written by the lovely and very talented Kasie West.


This is the first West's novel I have read. I have had this book on my wish list for quite some time, but I only got thanks to the Books'n'Bloggers book swap I took part in earlier this year. My swap partner was kind enough to purchase and send this book to me. And what a great present it turned out to be!!


*****

Money can't buy a good first impression. Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers learned early that the rich are not to be trusted. And after years of studying them from behind the cash register of her mom's porcelain-doll shop, she has seen nothing to prove otherwise. Enter Xander Spence - he's tall, handsome, and oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and the fact that he seems to be one of the first people who actually gets her, she's smart enough to know his interest won't last. Because if there's one thing she's learned from her mother's warnings, it's that the rich have a short attention span. But just when Xander's loyalty and attentiveness are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn't a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she'd ever realised. With so many obstacles standing in their way, can she close the distance between them?

*****



Let's talk about the edition first. I own the paperback edition (I am not sure if they even brought out a hardback edition.). There is a gorgeous photograph of a girl and a boy standing next to a sports car. I assume this is Caymen and Xander. The title is written in white bold lettering. I love the design. It's quirky and romantic at the same time. 312 pages. 41 chapters. What a wonderful edition. I love the indie vibe.


I absolutely love the way this book is written. Straight from the start I have been taken by the humour and sarcasm used in the dialogue. It's how I talk to my friends and how my friends talk to me so I could relate to it in so many ways. Not only this book is funny, but it's also smart, heart-breaking, sad and so so romantic. It's the ideal food for every hopeless romantic heart and soul. So won't be able to help yourself. You will fall in love with this book straight from the start. I was the same way. I couldn't put the book down.



The story itself is beautiful. It wraps around you like a blanket. It's like eating your favourite food. It comforts you. It gives you hope and let's you dream. It restores the trust in love and forgiveness.

The main characters are relate able to many of us. Well at least in character qualities more than wealth. The interaction between Caymen and Xander is adorable. They are so cute and flirty. I love the little things Xander does for Caymen. The hot chocolate every morning. The french food when he thinks that she might be hungry. He takes her even to a science lab - on a private plane!! Squeeek!!! Cuteness alert!!



I love the way the author approached the subject of finding yourself. Even though Carmen and Xander come from different backgrounds, they have the same problem. They are expected to follow the family's routes. They have lived with that prediction their whole lives and therefore didn't have the opportunity to find out what or who they want to be. But they are trying to figure it out together. I found myself in Caymen's character so many times. Her thoughts, her feelings.. Everything is so close to my heart. And Xander, even though he has more money that you can imagine, is just a lost young man. I think many guys can find similarities with his character. Not to mentioned, their relationships with their parents... This what makes the book real. True feelings. True thought process. It's so so so relate able on so many levels.



Actually, I don't think there is anything bad I can say about this book. Everything about it is perfect. I love the storyline, loved the writing and hilarious dialogues, I adored the interaction between every single character.. Kasie West wrote one great romantic contemporary YA novel. Every page is filled with wonderful words you cannot help but love.








So Thank you Kasie West. You got yourself a brand new fan. I cannot wait to put my hands on ON THE FENCE & THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND. I have a feeling that I have only just started my collection of  your books.









Quotes: 

“You two are the most in-love not-dating people I’ve met.” 


“Sometimes it's the little things that bring that special someone back to us in some small way.”


“A lot of people don’t get my humor. My mom calls it dry humor. I think that means “not funny,” but it also means I’m the only one who ever knows it’s a joke.” 


“I wonder why some people seem to be born knowing what they want to do with their lives and others - mostly me - have no idea.”

“Sometimes it's hard for me to start something because I'd rather not try at all than fail at it” 

“Feelings can be the most costly thing in the universe.” 


“This is me facing failure. This is me putting everything on the line even though I know I might lose. And I'm terrified. But like you said, anything worth having is worth the risk.” 


“Hi, I’m stranger one and this is stranger two. Are you uncomfortable yet?”


“I think unhappiness comes from unfulfilled expectations.” 


“Not the “be yourself” line. I loathe that line. As if Myself and Tic have met before and gotten along, so all I have to do is make sure Myself is there this time. So illogical.” 

1 comment:

  1. what page number is “I think unhappiness comes from unfulfilled expectations.” from?

    ReplyDelete