Wednesday 24 June 2015

Jenny Han : P.S. I STILL LOVE YOU

Warning! Prepare yourself for so many feels! I finished a full jar of Nutella whilst reading this book.



P.S. I STILL LOVE YOU is a sequel to one of my favourite books I have read this year - TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - written by the gorgeous and very talented, Jenny Han.


I cannot even begin to start to describe the joy of finally owing and reading this book. Ever since reading To All The Boys I've Loved Before, I was too excited to read the sequel. I had it pre-ordered the minute I finished the first book. I was literally counting down the days till it is published. And then May 26th arrived and found the most amazing package in my mailbox - the brand new sparkling edition of P.S. I STILL LOVE YOU. I literally danced the happy dance around my living room!!!

So me and the always lovely Sara from Carpe Librum Girl* have decided to pick this very much anticipated book for our 'Buddy Read'. We both adore Jenny Han and her writing.




*****

Lara Jean didn't expect to really fall for Peter. She and Peter were just pretending. Expect suddenly they weren't. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever. When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean's feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once? 


*****


Let's talk about the edition of the book first. Since I love this book so so much, I own the paperback and the hardback edition too. They are both such beautiful editions. On each of them is a picture of Lara Jean sitting in the window bay. The pictures are slightly different, but they are both very retro and beautiful. The design of the sequel compliments the first book and its both editions (paperback & hardback) wonderfully. 337 pages. 56 chapters. I absolutely adore both of the editions.



The writing. Oh how lovely is to be back in the world of Jenny Han and her writing. It's modern. Romantic. Intelligent. Emotional. It makes you feel so many feelings whilst reading it. A whole spectrum. It's engaging. And so, so relate able. You will not be able to put the book down. I promise you! I wasn't able to that myself. It took me a day to go through it. I was reading it so fast like my life would depend on it. I just wanted to find out what will happen next...


The story starts exactly where it left off. Lara Jean realises that she really likes Peter and writes him her first proper love letter. And them two decide to give their relationship a true go. But not all is rainbows and unicorns. Love isn't an easy, one way road to happiness. There are hiccups on the road. Challenges which make sure that your love is true. Love is never easy, but maybe that's the part of what makes it amazing.



This story wonderfully describes falling in love for very first time. The feelings.. The angst.. Especially if you aren't the first one for him. Lara Jean isn't Peter's first love. But he is hers. He has history with Gen and Gen keeps meddling in their relationship. And Lara Jean becomes insecure. When she needs to feel the security, Peter isn't there. Someone else is. Someone else keeps reminding her how special she is. Will Peter start fighting for his and Lara Jean's relationship before it is too late? Or will Lara Jean's first end up in vain?


I cannot describe how amazing is Jenny Han's story-telling. She manages to capture the humans true feelings in such a wonderful way that you can relive them time and time again. She makes you think of your first love... of your first kiss... of being insecure and new to being in love. And that is were a true writing talent lies... You know when you read a good book when you catch yourself laughing out loud... Crying as hard as you can.. Sobbing like a baby. Words have the power to do that. And Jenny Han has the magical ability to do that. She is a wizard of literature!!!



I have to mentioned how much I adore Kitty in this story. She has been my favourite character from the start. But time and time again.... Reading deeper into the story.. I love her even more. She is on verge of becoming a great, sensitive, but very smart woman. But she is still Kitty at the same time. She kind of reminds me Agnes from Despicable Me films. Actually all the character in this book are so loveable. You cannot help but like them. Even Genevieve. I think the truth is that you admire them even more, because you can find bits and pieces of yourself in them. They are so real and relate able.


All in all, I love the continuum of Han's story. PS I Still Love You was all I expected it to me, if not more. I loved every page. The time I spent reading the words was well spent. I cannot wait to re-read the story time and time again. And I cannot wait for my friends to read the story too, so we can talk about.



JENNY HAN, you have outdone yourself yet again! What a beautiful story!!





*Read Sara's review on CARPE LIBRUM GIRL !!

No comments:

Post a Comment