Tuesday 30 June 2015

Sarah J. Maas : A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES

Warning!! Even if you are not a fan of fantasy adventures, you won't be able to help but to fall in love with this story.



A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES is a first part of a brand new book series written by one of my personal favourite authors in the Fantasy YA genre - Sarah J. Maas.


Firstly, let me tell you a secret! Well, it isn't a proper secret, you can share it with anyone. Actually, I encourage you to do so. I think that Sarah J. Maas is the 'Queen of Fantasy YA'.  She captured my heart completely with her Throne Of Glass series. I wasn't expecting to fall in love with this gift of literature so much, but I did! Now, every year I count down the days till a new book comes out! Another reason why autumn is my favourite season!


So, when I heard that she is releasing a brand new novel, of course I had to have it. Pre-ordered, I have been patiently waiting until May for this new adventure to find its way onto the book shelves. I was expecting great things, but at the same time I have been worried.. I was scared that this new story won't be able to match the success of Throne Of Glass series... But what I wasn't expecting, was to fall in love even more deeply... There are books which you just cannot help, but love. And this one is one of them. It puts a spell / curse on you (pun intended) ! A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES will become a permanent member of your library.


*****

Feyre is a huntress. She thinks nothing of slaughtering a wolf to capture its prey. But, like all mortals, she fears what lingers mercilessly beyond the forest. And she will learn that taking the life of a magical creature comes at a high price... Imprisoned in an enchanted court in her enemy's kingdom, Feyre is free to roam but forbidden to escape. Her captor's body bears the scars of fighting, and his face is always masked - but his piercing stare draws her ever closer. As Feyre's feelings for Tamlin begin to burn through every warning she's been told about his kind, an ancient, wicked shadow grows.

*****



Firstly, let me talk about the beautiful edition this story is wrapped in. Paperback. 416 pages divided into 46 amazing chapters. The cover captures Feyre on the bright red background. It's such a powerful and mesmerising design. You won't be able to miss the book in your favourite book shop. And you won't want to miss out on this book. I promise you that!!


The writing.. Wow !! It always amazes me how much thought and imagination goes into writing a fantasy novel! Especially, when it comes to Ms Maas. Her writing is so creative, heart-warming, adventurous, thrilling... It's packed with twists which leaves you with your mouth wide opened. I have been literally hanging on every single word.. I just couldn't stop myself. I had to read more and more. I had to find out what will happen next.

The story itself is so captivating. It literately took my breath away. I was entranced with the wonderful story about love so strong that can survive even the hardest of challenges. What a beautiful enchanting adventure!! This wonderful piece of written word made me feel so many different emotions. I laughed and giggled like school girl. I cried like a baby. I got my heart shattered into million pieces. I was filled with anger at characters and their behaviour. I shouted out when something went wrong. I was absolutely mesmerised! 


This fast paced story just took over my heart and every fibre of my being. It took over my life for three wonderful days and I don't regret a minute of it. When I thought it couldn't get any better, another twist surprised me. I was absolutely consumed with with it. Every single page, every single chapter was an absolute perfection.



The characters and their ever-developing relationships were just wonderful. You couldn't help but to fall in love with them. They just got into your heart, grabbed it and wouldn't let go.


  • Feyre. A human girl who does anything in her power to secure her family's survival. She has been looking after from a young age and they have took the advantage of her! She is strong .....and beautiful inside and out. She is fearless. She loves with all her heart and goes to extreme lengths to prove her love for Tamlin!! 



  • Tamlin. Boy crush alert !! The High Lord of the Spring. A warrior with shape-shifting ability. He is powerful, magical but has a heart. He is compassionate, but strong. He wants to protect everyone in his court, everyone he loves. He has been punished and cursed but he doesn't give up without a fight. And he falls in love with this human girl and gives her his whole heart. 



  • Lucien. High Fea. Tamlin's best friend. He is a warrior which strong morals. He can give you a hard time, but once you win him over, he goes to extreme lengths to help you out when you need. 



  • Rhysand. At first I loathed him, later on I learnt to tolerate him. I don't trust him. He is a great manipulator who isn't afraid to strike a bargain to achieve his goals. He knows how to play the game . There are many fans of this novel who are crushing on Rhys but I am not one of them. There is just something about him I cannot stand. 



  • Alis. A servant and a friend. She has been through a lot - lost her beloved sister. Now she is looking after her two nephews. One this I admire about her that she doesn't lie to Feyre ! No matter how awful the truth is, she is always truthful with her ! 


  • Nesta. Feyre's eldest sister and a character who managed to surprised me the most . At the beginning you think of her as horrible human being. Selfish. Always angry. Ungrateful. But as we learn later on, she is a strong young woman who truly cares and loves her sisters. I think she would be a great companion for Lucien, so I hope to see more of her in the upcoming books. 


I am a huge admirer of the relationships between the characters and their constant development. I adore the friendship and always present bickering between Lucien & Feyre. I respect Feyre's bond and common understanding with Rhys. But I absolutely adore the beautiful relationship between Feyre & Tamlin. The readers often compare this story to The Beauty & The Beast. The mutual hatred at the beginning. Slow building of trust. Admiration. Attraction. Finding common grounds. Discovering deep feelings! True Love!! It's absolutely beautiful and wonderful to witness the slow but continuously growing love between these two. It's an honour and an absolutely pleasure to read their love story ! 



And this brings me to the one and only thing I do not like about the development in this book! There are hints, small sings of a possible love triangle between Feyre, Tamlin & Rhys! And I have to be honest, I absolutely hate the idea! There so many other YA novels which include this element and it's getting pretty boring! I would hate if Ms Maas would jump in a wagon and headed to this direction! I think the story of Tamlin & Feyre's love is so powerful that it doesn't needs a love triangle! Yes, put their love through trials and tests. Personally I think Tamlin should now prove his love for Feyre, but I don't think it should be done by competing for her love with Rhys. When the author first introduce this possibility of this happening with the introduction of the bond between Rhys & Feyre, I actually screamed and got very, very angry! And I now pray that the author will change her mind and cut out this idea. I think if this would happen, it would actually damaged the story itself! The beautiful tale we have grown to love would lose its charm and magic !! 


But otherwise.. I truly, deeply and unconditionally fell in love with this beautiful piece of literature! You know that there is a greatness to be expected when the book has a map in it. All the great Fantasy Book series have a map and this one is no exception .. 

So thank you Sarah J. Maas for taking the time and creating the fantastic world of Fae, Faeries, strong human characters... It's an absolute pleasure to spend my time in the world of your imagination and I cannot wait to read more. May 2016 just cannot come soon enough ! 




A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES is one of my favourite books I have ever read and it has given another proof why Fantasy YA genre is becoming my favourite to read!! Ms Maas you are a true queen of it! 


Follow Sarah J. Maas on Twitter @SJMaas or visit her website http://sarahjmaas.com .

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Sarah J. Maas is the Queen of Fantasy! Her writing is flawless!
    I also love Tamlin, but I have to say... After reading the book and pondering over Feyre's relationship with Rhysand, I think that there is something there. I definitely think that a love triangle is going to form. And, while I thought that Rhysand was very cruel and terrible to Feyre, I think that Maas is going to do something to make his character redeemable. I honestly think he may be one of the most complex characters of the story. Even if there is a love triangle, I doubt that it would be boring. Maas owns love triangles. I mean, she's got a love square going in the Throne of Glass series. All of her male characters turn out to be incredibly well written and lovable.
    I'm rambling now. But, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. I can literally smell the love triangle. And normally I would love for one to happen but this time I just don't want it. I think it's because Tamlin & Feyre are so incredibly cute. And their love is so beautiful. And I don't understand with obsession surrounding Rhys' character. I think as you do. I bet there is more to him than meets the eye, but I am tired of love triangles.

      But I am glad you have enjoyed the review. And yes, Maas always brings out hot amazing male characters. xoxo

      Delete