Friday 5 June 2015

Tahereh Mafi : SHATTER ME SERIES

Warning!! Seriously, this is possibly the best book series I have ever read. Nothing is what it seems to be in the first book. Prepare for a wonderful actioned packed adventure!



SHATTER ME is a dystopian young adult book series written by the very wonderful and talented Tahereh Mafi.


This series has been recommended to me by many of my book lover and fellow book reviewer, friends. Actually, one of favourite people in the world Sara (you all know her as Carpe Librum Girl*) swears by this book series. It's one of her favourites. So of course, I had to find out for myself, if the rumours are true and this series is the one to be in your personal library.


*****

I HAVE A CURSE. I HAVE A GIFT. 
I'M A MONSTER. I'M MORE THAN HUMAN.
MY TOUCH IS LETHAL. MY TOUCH IS POWER.
I AM THEIR WEAPON. I WILL FIGHT BACK. 

*****


There are 3 main books and 2 novellas in this series: 


SHATTER ME

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time - and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever. 

UNRAVEL ME

Juliette has escaped from The Reestablishment. Now she's free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch. Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible. Haunted by her past and terrified of her future, Juliette knows that she will have to make some life-changing choices. Choices that may involve choosing between her heart - and Adam's life. 





IGNITE ME

Everyone Juliette has ever cared about could be dead. Juliette may be the only one standing in The Reestablishment's way. But to take them down, Juliette will need the help of the one person she never thought she could trust: Warner. And as they work together to defeat their mutual enemy, Juliette will discover that everything she thought she knew - about Warner, her abilities, and even Adam - was wrong. 

UNITE ME
(Destroy Me & Fracture Me)

In Destroy Me, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45, refuses to let her go. 
In Fracture Me, Adam, Juliette's first love, will do anything to get her back. 








Let's talk about the books and design first. I love love love the covers! I don't think there is a book or two in my library which covers I adore more. I own the paperbacks with the beautiful eyes on the front. Each instalment has a different motive and they just take my breath away every single time I look at them. I love how the graphic design team stuck with one design and every book in the series compliment each other. Absolutely mesmerising. So so pretty. Eye-catching (pun intended). 


The writing. Tahereh Mafi is a genius. I envy and admire the way she writes. I love how the story includes crossed off sentences. It gives it a new level of uniqueness. She writes the story from Juliette's point of view, but she doesn't leave out the bits or the way Juliette thinks. The crossed off lines are Juliette's internal dialogues and they make this story even more original. The writing is captivating. Thrilling.  Absolutely gripping. An exciting ride packed with twists and turns no reader sees coming. And the level of sexual tension just takes your breathe away. I don't think I have ever read a book packed with so much sexual tension you cut it with a cake knife. Ever. E.L. James could learn something from Mafi's writing. On occasions it even leaves you flushed. Especially when it comes to Warner's & Juliette's chemistry! 





The story is just so different to others. You start the first book and you think you have it all figured out. You think you know how this will go. You guess who is the main love interest for the main character is. You predict who is the bad guy in the story... But then you read on and everything changes. Whilst reading the second book you start to change your initial prediction. You will start falling for the 'bad' guy of the story. You will shift your alliances. And when the third book comes along, you are so engrossed in the story then you literally swallow the book without chewing.




You get more and more sucked in with every page, every chapter, every book.  Bloody Hell, you won't be able to put it down! It's so captivating. You are so obsessed with the story, that the outside worlds fails to exist for you.There are so many twists and turns... It might even cause you a heart attack at certain point. But the story just keeps on giving. It keeps you on your toes. Mix in super-powers and you got yourself a fantastic recipe one of the best book series you ever read. And let's me honest, you will want to find out, if Juliette manages to bring down The Reestablishment. And who she will choose?



The character development is in this story is fascinating. It is one of the best ones I have pleasure to read. 


  • Juliette is such a young girl with so many issues. At the beginning, she is so vulnerable. She is scared and alone. And she is craving love and attention. But as the story continues, she gets stronger, more confident and very protective of her friends. She wants to get her independence back. She wants to save the world.



  • Warner. Oh man!! The boy is hot! I knew from the start that there is more to him than meets the eye. And I am so happy that I was not wrong. He is kind but firm. Smart and fit. Not bad to look at either. But what I like the most about him is that he doesn't treat Juliette like a toy or a delicate flower which can break easily. He treats her with respect and admiration at the same time. He treats her like an equal. I have to say, he has become my ultimate book boyfriend crush. 



  • Adam.What can I say about him. I know he loves Juliette. But he is one of the character who ended up disappointing me the most. He turned out to be pretty bland. What angers me most about him, you might ask. It's not the fact that he treat Juliette like sugar cone which can break at any time. It's not the fact that he is pretty selfish at times not carrying about everyone else. It is the attitude -  he would rather survive than live life to the fullest. And that I cannot stand. 



  • Kenji. Now, let's talk about my favourite character of them all. I love love love him. He brings a little bit sass and hilarity into the story. And he is such a great friend to Juliette. Not to mentioned, that he is fair and gives everyone a chance. 



I love all the complicated relationship between the character. Juliette's friendship with Kenji always puts a smile on my face. Their banter brings a little bit on sunshine into this quite dark story. Adam's love for Juliette is way too heavy. He is overprotective and treats her like a child at times. Which brings me to Warner and Juliette... Wow, it couldn't get more enjoyable. At the start she hates him, in the middle she is attracted to him but doesn't trust him and at the end... well.. she realises that he is the one for her. And he loves her all the way through and never gives up on her. He supports her and tells her that she can achieve greatness. Hello!! Relationship goals!! I adore the tender friendship which developed between Kenji and James. And I do have to give Adam credit for loving and doing everything to make James happy and healthy kid. What can I say ? It's a roller coaster ride. 

So, I can safely say that this book series is one of the best one I have ever read. It was a gripping adventure packed with thick sexual tension and unexpected surprises. 




Thank YOU! Thank YOU! THANK YOU Tahereh Mafi!! This book series took my breathe away. It was a wonderful read. 




*check out Sara's blog http://carpelibrumgirl.blogspot.co.uk ! It's definitely worth the read!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment