Sunday 16 August 2015

Kiera Cass : THE HEIR

Warning! If you are expecting another love story in style of America & Maxon, you are in for a big surprise!!



THE HEIR is fourth book in The Selection series written by the wonderful and very inspiring Kiera Cass.

I have been blown away with The Selection series when I read it at the start of the year. I wasn't expecting much when I bought the books - maybe a Literary Bachelor type book, but instead I discovered one of my favourite book series by far. America & Maxon's love story wasn't easy and there were times when I lost the hope for them, but they made it at the end, stronger than ever before.

So when I found out that Ms Cass is publishing another novel for this series, there was no choice to make. I had to have it. And of course, I couldn't wait to read.



*****

Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon - and they lived happily ever after. 

Eadlyn doesn't expect her own story to end in romance - she has no interest in repeating the fairy tale. But a princess's life is never entirely her own - and Eadlyn cannot escape her very own Selection and one particular entry who may just capture her heart ...

*****



The easy part first. Let's have a quick chat about the edition first. I own a paperback. 342 pages divided into 33 chapters. The book has the very same design as the rest of the books in the series. Thank you graphic design team. I appreciate that !! All novels in this series has the same signature design - a beautiful girl in a gorgeous evening gown on the front cover. THE HEIR is no different. There is photograph of Eadlyn in absolutely stunning lilac dress. I get dress envy every single time I see one of these covers. 


The writing. In the style of Kiera Cass the writing is entertaining. Modern but classic at the same time. Thrilling. Exciting. Packed with twists and turns I didn't expect coming. 


Now, what I like about this story is how different the main character and the story is to the first generation. Let me tell you something. Eadlyn is no America Singer. Firstly she is beautiful like her mother, hardworking and smart like her father. Fierce. Strong. But she is also selfish, pig-headed and doesn't properly know how to be a queen. She has been told she will be a queen since the early age, she has been trained for it, but doesn't really know how to approach this. 


The story itself... Well let's start with saying that Eadlyn isn't interesting in the romance. She is headstrong on becoming queen and she doesn't need a man for achieving it. But there are some disturbances in the country so her dad, our beloved Maxon, decides that a Selection could keep the public occupied whilst he finds the right solution to stop the riots. Eadlyn hates the idea. She doesn't want to do it. But soon enough, with a little twist in the Selection rules, she is thrown in the middle of it. She doesn't care about the guys at the start, but soon enough her hell-bend on never falling in love attitude will change. As she starts to get to know these men, she starts to develop feelings for some of them.



Kiera Cass definitely took a little different approach to this new generation. There isn't a clear candidate for Eadlyn's heart. There are three strong possibilities. Fistly, we have the wonderful finish baker who doesn't speak much english, Henri. He is kind and adores Eadlyn. Then we have a dark horse in the competition - Erik, Henri's interpreter. He is the friend's stage at the moment. But there is a lot of moments popping up where I think that Kiera is making him a valuable candidate for the princess's heart. But my favourite to win is Kile, the guy she has grown up with and loathed him. Now she cannot stop kissing him.


To be honest, at this point I have no idea which way Kiera and the new Selection is heading. There are so many possibilities and different ways this story can go. But I have to say, although I am enjoying reading it, it doesn't capture me as much as the first generation. Possibly, due to the fact there is no clear love story yet. I have no one to route for as there are so many different options. And Eadlyn is a bitch at times who is extremely selfish. I hope the letter she received from her twin brother will open her eyes and see what is wrong with her and what she needs to change. He hasn't been intentionally cruel but she needed to hear what he has written. It was time someone told her the truth. 


Anyways, all in all, it was an enjoyable story. It didn't make me swoon like the first three books, but it has a potential. I hope Kiera knows her agenda and where this story is going because I cannot wait to find out what she has in store for Eadlyn and her collection of boys. 



Another well done Kiera Cass. I always enjoy reading your stories. I love your Bachelor / Bachelorette type of story !! 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The first 3 books are really good, I am still making up my mind about THE HEIR! But you should give it a go girls :) xoxo

      Delete
  2. I've seen lots of reviews that say Eadlyn is a spoiled bitch, and yet some more that admire her for her tenacity and strong-willed character. I really have no idea whether I'd like her or not, which is why I didn't read The Heir. But it sounds like the book is awesome, so I'm rethinking my decision.
    And I agree with you so much on the covers. Everytime I see America's dress on The One, I feel like stabbing myself with envy! Great review :)

    Ranu @ The Araliya Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much for your kind words Ranu! Yeah, I am not a big fan of Eadlyn myself at the moment, but I might just give her a chance to improve haha. It's so different to the first Selection which keeps it interesting. Give it a go and let me know what you think :) xo

      Delete