Monday 10 August 2015

Rachel Hawkins : MISS MAYHEM

Warning!! Hmmm... Prepare to disappointed! Unfortunately!



MISS MAYHEM is second book in the Rebel Belle series, written by the lovely Rachel Hawkins.


Do you remember the Southern Paladin girl who's boyfriend is an Oracle and an ex-boyfriend is a Mage I read about last week?? Well she is back! And not with a boom!


*****

Life is almost back to normal for Harper Price. The Ephors have been silent after their deadly attack at Cotillion months ago, and her best friend, Bee, has returned after a mysterious disappearance. Now Harper can focus on the important things in her life: school, canoodling with David (her nemesis-turned-ward-slash-boyfie), and even competing in the Miss Pine Grove Pageant.

Unfortunately, supernatural chores are never done. The Ephors have decided they'd rather train David than kill him. The catch: Harper has to come along for the ride, but she can't stay David's Paladin unless she undergoes an ancient trial that will either kill her... or make her more powerful than ever.

*****


Firstly, let's talk about the book edition first. I own the hardback published earlier this year by G.P. Putnam's Sons. 273 pages. 36 chapters. The sleeve is having a similar design as the first book. Vintage looking golden statue of Miss Pine Grove with a sword. I assume that this represents our main girl - Harper. Underneath the sleeve, there is hiding a red book with gold lettering. It's pretty and I liked that the graphic team stuck with the original design.

The writing. Well it's stick with the same fashion. Modern. Easy to read. Very relate able. But I kinda feel like the author has run out of her original story. It seems to be that she has bitten too big bite of her cake and doesn't know how to finish the story. It's predictable. It's boring at times and it drags on.



I will be honest. I knew from reading the first book that it's a one of a simpler writing, but I didn't feel any excitement. For a YA novel about mythical creatures like paladins, oracles and mages it's lacking excitement and action.  Even the blur of the book sounds more interesting and more exciting than the story itself.

Seriously. I feel like the author is literally milking the cow dry. It feels like a forced sequel without being properly thought through. It's too simple. As much as I do enjoy the humour, it doesn't save the story. To be honest, the only reason why I have finished reading the book was the hilarious dialogues.

But there is no proper development of story or the characters. If feels like the magic has fizzled out (pun intended). I am missing the spell which I am usually under when reading a book. I quite happily put the book down back on the shelf and never read it again. 



But of course, we don't know what has happened to David, so I have to buy the last instalment in the series but I can honestly say I am not bothered to read it anytime soon. And LADY RENEGADES doesn't get publish until next year anyway.


I just hope that the author will think this story through properly. I hope she will take her time and make sure that she develops it more, gets more exciting and actually brings some action to this mix between Buffy, The Vampire Slayer; True Blood & Gossip Girl. I just want it to improve so badly. What makes me angry the most is the fact that the story has such a great potential. With the right take and the right story-telling, it could be a bestseller - the next Twilight..


But the train left the station and now we are left with a boring tale.


So all in all, I really really didn't like the second book in this series. I was bored and found myself to on many occasions forcing myself to finish it.



I am really sorry Ms Hawkins but I think there is a lot of room for improvement for this story. I hope the last book in this series managed to surprise me in a good way.


No comments:

Post a Comment