Monday 3 August 2015

Lauren Oliver : VANISHING GIRLS

Warning! This book will surprise and leave you with you mouth wide opened!



VANISHING GIRLS is thrilling young adult novel written one of the most popular authors in the YA genre - Lauren Oliver.


Lauren Oliver is well known name in the YA genre. I own couple of books written by this author, so when I have found out that she publishing a new novel this year, I had to have it. I even took the opportunity of getting a signed book plate by her which I have received couple of months ago.


To be honest, at the start the story only intrigued me, but as I discovered later on,  this book turned out to be more than I expected.



*****

Dara and Nick used to be inseparable, but that was before - before Dara kissed Parker, before Nick lost him as her best friend, before the accident that left Dara's beautiful face scarred. Now the two sisters, who used to be so close, aren't speaking. In an instant, Nick lost everything and is determined to use the summer to get it all back.

But Dara has other plans. When she vanishes on her birthday, Nick thinks Dara is just playing around. But another girl has vanished, too - nine-year-old Madeline Snow - and as Nick pursues her sister, she becomes increasingly convoked that the two disappearances are linked.

*****



But before we get into the juicy stuff, let's talk about the edition first. I own the hardback published earlier this year. 322 pages long. The sleeve is created in light pastel colours. On the cover, there is a photograph, taken with the soft lens, of a young girl. We can just get the glimpse of her face and hair. The main book is light brown colour with metal blush pink lettering. It is a beautiful design. I really, really like it. 

The story is written from the point of Nick and Dara - before and after everything has changed. It's captivating. Beautifully written with the right sensitivity to the issue happening in Nick's life. It's thrilling. Exciting. So emotional. It is an un-put-down-able tale. I was glued to it straight from the start. 

The start was a little bit confusing and slow. But soon enough it picked up and it kept on intriguing me. There was just something... Something in this story didn't add up. I was missing a big part of it. Soon I started to have a little hunch. Just a thought... so I read on. I got more and more invested in this tale. And I didn't have to wait too long for the explosive twist in the story. My hunch has become true. I was right. But it still left me with my mouth wide opened. I am sorry for being quite secretive about it but I do not want to spoil it for you, which is really really hard as I just want to discuss it with you.

The book tells us about the straighten relationship between two sisters who used to be best friends - Nick and Dara. Nick is the oldest and has another best friends Parker and the trio got up to many mischiefs during last couple of years. But then Dara and Parker hooked up. And Nick has lost her place in the group. She has been left on the sidelines. And then the accident happened and Dara's and Nick's relationship became even more complicated. Nick moved away to her dad's home but after being caught skinny dipping, she has returned back home. Dara doesn't speak to her, the whole family is good in the non-talking-about-conflicts situation. But at least her summer job in the nearer family park gets her closer to Parker again. But then a little girl disappears, and the things get even more weird and complicated. Dara is still not talking to Nick, so Nick decides to give their relationship one last shot on Dara's birthday.



This book is so thrilling. It's a masterpiece. You get sucked in and won't let go. It really helps that the story is told from different points of view (or is it). The mystery is even more enhanced with the before and after chapters. It's mesmerising. 

One thing I have to say. I really really love that the author addressed some very major issues in this book. A tragedy. They way family copes with it. The straighter relationships within the family members. The complicated relationship between friends... Finding love. And of course the huge issue of psychological disorder like a multiply personality. It was absolutely amazing. She couldn't written the story better. She couldn't told Nick's tale in better, absolutely captivating way... 

I loved every page. I adore every chapter. I wasn't able to put the book down. I just had to find out what has happened and how the story ends. 

Thank you Ms Oliver. What a thrilling ride (pun intended - you will get it once you read the book). I just wish there would be more ... But that's a sign of well-written novel, if you want more after you finished with it. 



VANISHING GIRLS should be your next addition to your personal library. Happy reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment