Tuesday 18 June 2013

Jamie McGuire : BEAUTIFUL DISASTER

BEAUTIFUL DISASTER is modern romantic novel written by an American author JAMIE MCGUIRE. 


I have found this book last year while browsing through Asda's book isle. The synopsis on the back of the book immediately caught my attention so as soon as I got home I ordered it for my Kindle (It was the cheaper option to be honest - at the time I was proper skint thanks to Christmas shopping.). But I haven't found the time to read it until recently. To be truthful I was engrossed with the Mortal Instruments series, Jace and the Shadow-hunters' world took over me. But now, it's time for a break so I found myself reaching for this book. I am in a delicate state - hungry for some romance in my life. And I hoped that this book can provide a little relief from the absence of the romance in my mundane life. 





So let's start with the synopsis first. As I mentioned before, it's a good one. It will make you want to buy this book - especially if you are a fan of modern romance genre or vomit in the bucket as I expect my lovely housemate Claire to do (see I can already see your face Claire hehe). I have copied the synopsis from the Waterstones' website and added some of my commentary to it. Some of you might call it lazy, I call it convenient. 


Are you suffering from the Fifty Shades of Grey withdrawal symptoms? (Like that is possible!?! The book stores and supermarkets are packed with adult novels at the moment. You can easily find them - they all have the same dark coloured cover with an silvery object (a piece of ribbon, a tie, a glass, an apple..) You can spot them straight away.) But even if this amount of adult novels is not enough for you, meet TRAVIS MADDOX & ABBY ABERNATHY - the main characters of Beautiful Disaster. 

Good girl Abby doesn't drink or swear and she works hard. Abby believes she has created enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college, her dreams of a new beginning are quickly challenged by the university's walking one-nighst stand. Bad boy Travis 'Mad Dog' Maddox, handsome, built and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs - wants - to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight club and his days as the notorious college lothario. A disaster waiting to happen.. Somehow they become best friends and start to spend a lot of time together. But Abby isn't falling for Travis's charms. Intrigued by Abby's resistance, Travis tricks her into his life with a simple bet. On a night of a big fight, he makes up a bet - if he loses, he must remain celibate for a month. If Abby loses, she must life in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time. Is it a start of something beautiful? Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match or that this is the start of an obsessive, intense relationship that will lead them both into unimaginable territory..




Intrigued? I surely was. And I must say I have enjoyed reading this book very much. It is an easy reading full of funny conversations. The dynamic relationships between characters are captivating straight from the start. It's fast paced, funny, intelligent. I found myself laughing out loud from the first page. I love the interaction between Abby and Travis. It wasn't a boring one for sure. The way play a game of cat and mouse with each other is great to read. 

I think it was nice to see a story where the bad boy falls in love for the first time and does everything in his power to win his "Pigeon's" heart. (reference and explanation of "Pigeon" is found in the book - I didn't get it at the start either.). And they went through some many obstacles. They fought hard and at the end ended up getting everything they dream of. 

But I must say, the life doesn't really work that way. It's only a story, although every one of us is dreaming about their happy ending. 

Also, I have found Travis a little bit over the top. Why would a bad boy who didn't have a care in the world change so radically? I am sorry but this would never ever EVER happened in reality. Hello!!!! Men don't change that drastically. But me being the good cop, it is nice to read that there is a possibility of existence of such a kind of men. 

As I have said earlier though, I have enjoyed reading this book. It was a nice break from the reality. I have laughed a lot and was happy with the Happy Ending Ms McGuire created for us. It actually made me to buy her second book - WALKING DISASTER. 

I would recommend this book for the ones who like a little bit of romance and have a soft heart like me. And summer is here. Well is on the way. And we all need a little bit of light reading for the beach. Why not to try this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment