Saturday 21 September 2013

Kimberly McCreight: RECONSTRUCTING AMELIA

Move over Gillian Flynn! There is a new thriller author on the scene! Her name is Kimberly McCreight! Kimberly recently published her debut novel RECONSTRUCTING AMELIA. And what a great piece of literature it is.


I am not a big fan of the thriller genre. You all know that I enjoy romance and fantasy fiction based books mostly. What can I say? I've got a big romantic melancholic heart which needs to be fed with the right food. But I like to keep my options open and therefore I am trying to read different genres of literature. Hey, we all need to try something new. My first couple of experiences weren't that great. Gone Girl was boring. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy was plot-less. But the third time is the charm, right?

So I am finding myself reaching to Reconstructing Amelia. From the first chapter I am hooked. What an incredible and interesting plot. Fascinating straight from the start. We follow a story of Kate - New York's young and finest lawyer who is called to her daughter's school one day in the middle of a very important meeting. When Kate arrives to school, she is greeting with a tragedy. Her daughter, Amelia, killed herself. Kate is absolutely devastated. After weeks of  sadness and trying to get over Amelia's suicide, she receives a text. "Amelia didn't jump." And so the journey to discover what really happen on the October morning begins.

Ms McCreight wrote one fantastic piece of thriller literature. I have not been able to put this book down. With each chapter, there was another new discovery, which kept you on your toes. You learn about the events from Kate's life. And we get to know Amelia and the events which led to the unfortunate October day.


I have truly enjoyed this breathe of fresh air in the thriller genre. It was captivating. Modern. Sexy. Easy to follow. Heart-racing. Scary. It was really scary. NO, not the plot but the subject this novel touched up on. Clubs, sororities, groups of friends or frenemies. People who enjoy our desire to get to know them, be the part of society and they use it to their advantage. They torture us. Bully us. Absolutely terrifying. I have been lucky enough to never experience the serious level of bullying but the things what happen in this book truly open my eyes to this serious matter. We should stop this. How can we, as a society of humans, allow this continue to happen. Inexcusable!

The author chose to write this story from Amelia's and Kate's point of view. We follow Amelia through the days which led to the unforgettable events and slowly discover who Amelia truly is. What she has been through. Her likes. Her dislikes. Her friends. Her relationship with her mother. And her first love. Her first heartbreak. Her sadness. The torture they put her through. And then we follow Kate's journey to find out what really happened to Amelia. 

I have truly enjoy this wonderfully-written novel. This book captures your attention straight from the start. It holds you in its hands and doesn't let go until you are completely finished. Until the story is over. It's a crime thriller which open up your mind and opinions. It gets under your skin. And you will never be able to forget the story. 


Many readers are calling Flynn's Gone Girl the Thriller of the year. But for me, RECONSTRUCTING AMELIA by Kimberly McCreight is "THE THRILLER OF YEAR". And Gone Girl doesn't come even close. 


I have become a fan of the author's writing. This story has now a permanent place in my library and I cannot wait to read more from the writer. Good Luck for the future Ms McCreight. Please, make sure to write more novels like this one. 



Here are couple of quotes which made the final cut:

“...[T]here's a fine line between wild and full-on whack job.” 

“It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been counting the minutes until I could forgive her. But it's a lot harder to forgive someone who's not looking to apologize.”

“Everyone has beacons. Lights that guide them home.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment