Saturday 15 February 2014

#SongOfTheDay 15th February (Valentine Week)




There was a time when you couldn't turn a corner in a shopping centre without hearing this bloke singing our ears with 'what you do to meeeee' (which believe it or not, is not even the title of the song). You don't seem to hear it very often of late though, so I'm making the decision to add it to my valentine collection because no matter how much I want to be able to say 'I'm sick to death of hearing this overly sentimental pile of nonsense' I... just can't do it.

Sorry but I really like this song, still.




There have been many attempts to try and recreate the magic of this simple yet overwhelmingly endearing little song but none have succeeded as of yet in my opinion. It's another occasion where the more simple and organic the lyrics are the more you can relate, not even with something going on with you at the moment, more you can relate to the singer and feel real empathy for them. You don't have to have the same experience of a character in a favourite film of yours, but you still like them and empathise with whatever their situation is. I feel the same the way with this song. I'm never going to serenade my girl across state lines and tell her I hope to see her soon once the busking picks up because A) I don't live in the States and B) The constant struggle for cooperation between my right and left hand means I can only manage one guitar chord every 5 minutes, if I'm lucky. Also, if my Delilah is a thousand miles away from me it's probably for a good reason. She should just stay there.







 



No comments:

Post a Comment