Wednesday 24 April 2013

Book 3 Of The Mortal Instruments: CITY OF GLASS, Cassandra Clare

CITY OF GLASS is a third instalment in The Mortal Instruments series. I have to say these books are quickly becoming one of my favourite books in the whole world. They definitely have a place on my List Of Books For Future Generations.

So we all know that I am secretly (actually very publicly) in love with Jace Wayland / Morgenstern / Lightwood. But you all know as well how disappointed I was when we found out that Clary and Jace are brother and sister! Wow! How heartbroken were you for them? Jace finally finds a girl he falls in love with and it turns out to be his flesh and blood. Not a great end to a love story is it?!?




Last time we saw Clary and Jace, Jace said to Clary that he will behave only like a brother to her, only in the same time as she realised that she loves him and wants to be with him regardless what everybody will think. But unfortunately she was left heartbroken instead. Also, Jocelyn's old friend turned up in the hospital claiming that it was Jocelyn, who put herself into this weird type of a coma and there is a warlock in Alicante, who knows how to wake her up. City of Glass follows Clary's not really welcome trip to Shadowhunter's capital Alicante. Firstly, Jace isn't happy for her to go to see the Clave. He is worried that once the Clave finds out about Clary's ability to create new runes which nobody knows, they will lock her up and use her every possible way. So he hatches a plan where he summons Simon to ask for his help to lie to Clary about the trip to Alicante. Everything goes awry when they are attacked by a little gang of forsaken and our day light walking vampire Simon is force to go with the Lightwoods to Alicante through the portal Magnus created. When Clary gets to the scene, she is royally pissed off and decides to create her own portal ( clever girl) and she and Luke end up at Lake Lynn where she drinks too much of the lake water and she is poisoned. Great start to the trip. Luke takes her to her sister Amatis, where she gets cured and ready for action. She decides to find Jace and the Lightwoods but is horribly surprised to find out that she isn't really welcome in Alicante. Jace is making out with a girl, shouts at her and the Lightwoods children aren't happy about her presence either. The only friend she makes is Sebastian, a new guy on the scene. Don't like him straight away. He thinks he is way better than anybody. Reminds you of somebody?!?

Anyways, in the meantime Simon gets himself imprisoned in Alicante, Jace regrets that he shouted at Clary. He punches a wall. Alec is unhappy with the lack of contact from Magnus. I bet everybody has only one question on their mind - Are they a couple or not?!? Sebastian tries to get on a good side of Clary's by helping her to track down the warlock who can help her mother. Sly bastard!!!At the warlock's place they find Magnus who gives Clary instructions on how to help her mother. And guess what ?!?! She will need Jace's help. So them two put their arguments on the side and travel together to old Waylands's mansion where they find a book of spells, which can help with waking up Jocelyn from her long sleep and also they find imprisoned angel Ithuriel who reveals that Valentine experimented on his children. Jace and Clary help Ithuriel to die and the mansion collapses. Them two make out and it looks like they will be together but then Clary stops as she is royally pissed off because Jace thinks that he only loves her because of him being part demon. That's a mood killer. When they return to Alicante, they find it in flames and attacked by demons. 

And after that we see the Shadowhunters and Downworlders working together to fight against Valentine. Jace decides to go on suicidal mission to kill Valentine. Jocelyn tells Clary that her and Jace aren't siblings (THANK GOD - BIG CELEBRATIONS), In fact, Sebastian turns out to be the real Jonathan Morgenstern. Clary as usual nearly gets herself killed and only survives with some kind of luck. Jace kills Sebastian but then he dies in the hands of Valentine in a process to raise The Angel. Fortunately our heroine saves the day by added her little rune work to the picture and The Angel recognises Valentine's bad intentions and kills him. Good bye bad guy!!! But what about Jace????? Don't they deserve a happy ending? Of course. The angel grants Clary one wish and she wishes for Jace to come back to life. So The Angel brings Jace back to life and it all ends in Happy ending . All our friends celebrates and Clary and Jace are finally able to be with each other properly. Thank God. They love each other so much. They went through hell so finally they can be together. 



I have to say I very much enjoyed City Of Glass. It was a very fast-paced book. Every single chapter was interesting, adventurous and packed with action. The book was really hard to put down and all I wanted is to read on so I can find out if Clary and Jace get their HAPPY ENDING. Thankfully, they did.

I really liked the chapter where Jace came to Clary's room in Amatis's house after Max's funeral. It was an emotional chapter and made me a little bit cry. So romantic! He finally told her that he loves her. Amazing. Them two deserve to be together. One of my favourite couples.

Also, I really enjoyed the dynamic of Alec and Magnus's relationship. They are so enjoyable together. I am really happy that Cassandra wasn't afraid to put a gay relationship in her book. And let's be honest, Magnus is a fantastic, very witty, character. Without him The Mortal Instruments wouldn't be the same. 

And I cannot forget to mention Simon's and Isabel's relationship. I would love for them two to become a couple. I love the way Simon brings Isabel's softer side. It's great to see how the relationship will develop in future and if Isabel will opened up to him a little bit more.

This book is not only full of very witty and smart dialogues, it's full of romance as well which I absolutely loved. I have read it within 2 days and had to start on the next one immediately after it finished. Cassandra Clare wrote a great story.

I actually made my sister to look up on in slovakian and made her to read it, because I don't want her to miss out on a great fantasy story, which I know she would enjoy. I think every person who will decide to buy, borrow or download this book, will not regret it. It's a treat for mind and soul and will capture your attention completely. 

Another well done to Cassandra Clare!!!

Some of the quotes I loved:

“There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.”

“And now I’m looking at you,” he said, “and you’re asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger than anything else ever has. I never dared give much of myself to anyone before – bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it – but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me.” 

“And I'm suppose to sit by while you date boys and fall in love with someone else, get married...?" His voice tightened. "And meanwhile, I'll die a little bit more every day, watching.”

“I am a man" he told her, "and men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone woman, and bring me something brown.” 

“You could have had anything else in the world, and you asked for me."
She smiled up at him. Filthy as he was, covered in blood and dirt, he was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. "But I don't want anything else in the world.” 

“I was thinking about the first time I ever saw you," he said, "and how after that I couldn't forget you. I wanted to, but I couldn't stop myself. I forced Hodge to let me be the one who came to find you and bring you back to the Institue. And even back then, in that stupid coffee shop, when I saw you sitting on that couch with Simon, even then that felt wrong to me-- I should have been the one sitting with you. The one who made you laugh like that. I couldn't get rid of that feeling. That it should have been me. And the more I knew you, the more I felt it--it had never been like that for me before. I'd always wanted a girl and then gotten to know her and not wanted her anymore, but with you the feeling just got stronger and stronger until that night when you showed up at Renwick's and I knew.”

“People aren't born good or bad. Maybe they're born with tendencies either way, but its the way you live your life that matters.” 

“If you ever meet the man who could take advantage of Isabelle, you’ll have to let me know. I’d like to shake his hand. Or run away from him very fast, I’m not sure which.”

“In the end that was the choice you made, and it doesn't matter how hard it was to make it. It matters that you did.” 

“Because that was what you did with family when you'd been worried about them, you grabbed them and held on to them and told them how much they'd pissed you off, and it was okay, because no matter how angry you got, they still belonged to you.”

“You never really hate anyone as much as someone you cared about once.” 

“There are some kinds of wounds you can get, internal injuries. You don't know what's wrong with you, but you're bleeding to death slowly inside.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment