Sunday 28 April 2013

Book 4 of The Mortal Instruments: CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS, Cassandra Clare

CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS is a fourth book in The Mortal Instruments series. I would also say that itis the first book the second half of the series. I would call it "After Valentine Died & Jace Was Brought Back To Life era". I guess the guys, who already read all 5 books know why. For the rest of you, you will find out soon enough. Well after you finish the 4th book.


So let's recap:

We found out that Jace and Clary are not siblings. YEYE! :) Big celebrations! They finally can be together and well they are enjoying their time as boyfriend & girlfriend. Valentine is dead - The Angel Raziel killed him once he found out what was Valentine up to. Sebastian AKA the true Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern (the proper brother of Clary's) was killed by Jace, but his body is missing. Alec and Magnus now updated their facebook status to - in a relationship and Simon turns out to be a little bit of a player with the ladies - he is dating Isobel and Maia at the same time.

NOW, as we all know it, life isn't a beach, so there is something brewing. Something is going to happen. Firstly, of course Maia and Isobel will find out that Simon has been, not so secretly, dating both of them. Not even that. Maia's ex-boyfriend, who she can thank to for becoming a werewolf, turns up in town. He is the newest member of Simon's band ( I will not remember the current name of it - SORRY!!) and apparently he is now a good guy. He is a member of Praetor Lupus who helps new turned downworlders to get hang on with their new found status. And he is still in love with Maia. But she cannot stand the sight of him . And it seems there is a price on Simon's head because somebody is trying to kidnap him. Thankfully The Mark Of Cain always kills the murderer or the person sent.

Jordan is not the only case of former lover turning up in New York. Magnus's former girlfriend, Camille, who used to be the head vampire of New York's Vampires is back in town. And she is killing shadow-hunters. She gets captured thanks to Simon (a hero in making) and the only person she wants to speak to is Magnus. Obviously this will create some problems in the new relationship between Alec & Magnus. Camille knows how to play them against each other and she gets under Alec's skin and causes some arguments.

In the meantime, our STAR-CROSSED LOVERS's happiness is cut short as well. Jace starts to have nightmares where is making out with Clary but instead of being all happy, every single dream, he ends up killing her. This is putting a strain on their relationship as he starts to avoid Clary, because he is scarred that he will hurt her. Unfortunately, Jace being a boy, does not tell Clary about his nightmares and she doesn't know what is going on. She is frustrated and under the impression that Jace got bored of her and decided to split up with her without telling her. She goes on her first Shadow-hunter mission into a church, where creepy fanatics are trying to create babies like was her brother. She nearly gets killed but Isobel saves her in time. Girlfriends stand by each other. Anyways, she goes back to The Institute to heal and her and Jace nearly have their first time, but that is interrupted when he actually tries to kill her. And finally Jace tells Clary the reason why he has been avoiding her. They decide to go together to The Silent City to find out why is Jace acting the way he is and they find out that because he has been brought back to life by Raziel, he doesn't have a protection like other Shadow-hunters. He needs to go through a spell which would protect him from demon influence. So he decides to stay there until the ritual can take place. Unfortunately for him, somebody tricks him the same night, and he becomes a puppet in the hands of Lilith, The mother of demons. She was the reason, why Sebastian's body has been missing. She has him. She wants to bring him back to life and she needs Jace and Simon to do it. So she makes Jace to kidnap Clary so she can force Simon to bring Sebastian to life.

She nearly has her way, but luckily our clever girl Clary, disfigures a rune on Jace's heart, which is controlling him and he comes back to being his normal self. Simon kills Lilyth with The Mark Of Cain and Sebastian is left floating in his tank without any blood. Our favourite couple sorts out their problems and it seems that they will be able to come back to being a normal loved-up couple, until Jace's rune doesn't heal and Sebastian takes a control over him. And Jace ends up being the one who brings Sebastian back to life losing himself in the process.


So it seems that the happiness of our couple, which I was so long hoping for in last three books, was short-lived. Cassandra decided that them two need to fight a little bit more for their happy ending. I loved the rare sweet moments them two shared though. Especially when Jace, even controlled by Lilith, said to Clary that he wants to be bound the her forever - like in Shadow-hunters marriage. I am just a little bit sad that there wasn't more of these sweet moments. I would enjoy reading about how happy they were now they can be together.

But even if this book lacked the romance, it had plenty of witty conversations between Simon and Jace. And I really, really loved those. It seems to me that there is a little Bromance growing between them too. I absolutely adore the way them two talk to each other. It always makes me laugh out loud. They are both really funny and smart. Jace always has some arrogant snarky comments for Simon, but Simon always stands his ground and comes back with a similar insult. We also can see that them two actually, without even knowing how it happened, started to care about each other. I love the brewing bromance!

Another thing I loved that we learned more about Magnus and Alec's relationship. They are so adorable. And how cute is Alec when he is jealous. Too cute. He actually really really loves Magnus and does not want to lose him. Even puts his shadow-hunters pride on side to be with him. I hope there is a happy ending for this adorable couple.

And Isobel? We finally learn a little more about her. Why is the way she is. We see how she slowly falls in love with Simon and starts to reveal little bits about her to him. And I think Simon is falling for her as well. Which would be just perfect. I never wanted him to end up with Maia!

I have enjoyed this book very much. There is a lot of funny dialogues. The writing is great and easy to follow. I love that Cassandra is slowly building up the story for a grand final. I love all our characters and the whole story is getting more and more interesting. I was not again able to put this book down. I just wanted that Jace gets better so he and Clary can be together! And Cassandra again cleverly made sure that I will need to read the next book.

Well done Ms Clare! Another great book from The Mortal Instruments.


Here are some quote I loved:

“You're just worried they'll hire a male instructor and he'll be hotter than you." 
Jace's eyebrows went up. "Hotter than me?" 
"It could happen," Clary said, "You know, theoretically."
"Theoretically the planet could suddenly crack in half, leaving me on one side and you on the other, forever and tragically parted, but I'm not worried about that either. Some things," Jace said, with his customary crooked smile, "are just too unlikely to dwell upon.” 

"And she has a boyfriend. Like, really, really, really has a boyfriend. The nuclear bomb of boyfriends. Trust me on this one.” 

“It’s fascinating. You know all these words, and they’re all English, but when you string them together into sentences, they just don’t make any sense.” 

“But I watch my brothers give their hearts away and I think, Don’t you know better? Hearts are breakable. And I think even when you heal, you’re never what you were before.”

“Or maybe it's just that beautiful things are so easily broken by the world.” 

“L'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle.
"It means that love is the most powerful force in the world. That love can do anything.”

“He looks," Simon had once said to Isabelle, "like he's thinking about something deep and meaningful, but if you ask him what it is, he'll punch you in the face.” 

“Is this the part where you tell me you're secretly in love with me? Vampire mojo strikes again.” 

“Still I pictured having you for fifty, sixty more years. I thought I might be ready then to let you go. But it's you, and I realize now that I won't be anymore ready to lose you then than I am right now. Which is not at all.”


“And then there was you. You changed everything I believed in. You know that line from Dante that quoted to you in the park? 'L'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle'?"
Her lips curled a little at the sides as she looked up at him. "I still don't speak Italian."
"It's a bit of the very last verse from Paradiso - Dante's Paradise. 'My will and my desire were turned by love, the love that moves the sun and the other stars.' Dante was trying to explain faith, I think, as an overpowering love, and maybe it's blasphemous, but that's how I think of the way I love you. You came into my life and suddenly I had one truth to hold on to - that I loved you, and you loved me.” 


“And I would do it again. I love you, Jace Wayland-Herondale-Lightwood-whatever you want to call yourself. I don't care. I love you and I will always love you, and pretending it could be any other ways is just a waste of time.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment