Wednesday 15 January 2014

#SongOfTheDay: 15th of January 2014


I like Radio 2 and a lot of people don't. I can live with that. I will try and invite people to throw away their misguided prejudice against the middleist of middle class broadcasts and tune in every now and then, but in the words of the great poet 'Posner'; 'They probably won't, they think they're cooler than me'


They're probably right. for starters I've just name checked one of the least memorable pop stars ever to emerge from the locker he was most certainly trapped in at school for being a dweeb and I've openly admitted to liking Radio 2. I may as well name my favourite shape a square and have done with it. With the added degrading factor of even thinking about having a favourite shape in the first place.


Be that as it may, there was a time long ago (about 6 years give or take) when I was even more uncool than I am now. I wish I was joking but there I was; gothed up to the eyeballs, wearing all black with a splash of grey, hair bands on my wrist and a dishevelled mop of dark unruliness that borrowed styling from Jack White and Michael Jackson (post afro - pre post mortem) I was trying to look like 'The Crow' and ended up looking like Edward Scissorhands (minus the sex appeal, lethal topiary implements and Johnny Depp) My general attitude was a wave of the hand to anyone who disagreed with this choice of attire and misjudgement and as long as the more vocal of protesters kept their hands, head butts and broken bottles to themselves (cause that shit can hurt) the world remained at peace. Until the music started.


This was my MOSH phase!
Not to be mistaken by my confused phase, bruv.


And here lies the link between that story and Radio 2: Namely, every Wednesday just before 7pm, Simon Mayo's Drive Time features a section called Dr Mosh. The premise of this is that listeners send in their rock/metal requests and one of them will be picked to be played. These are songs that are less likely be a part of the Radio 2 schedule as much as The Insane Clown Posse is on Magic FM. This section is a good idea, I've heard tunes from Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and AC/DC to name but a few. Last week however, the song that was picked amongst all others was Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid'. This is song is undoubtedly a classic, but it's the moshing equivilant of setting up the ring of death and doing the Hokey Cokey (they did redeem themselves today slightly with Nirvana's Breed)


So I say 'SCREW THAT NOISE'! Let's show these people how to really mosh. I've still got it in me, have you?!


Let's start this party with a big ol' head bang! Bring on the System!

 
 



Lead singer Serj Tankian is probably the most versatile metal vocalist of all time. With his Eastern influence at times it almost sounds like a prophet beckoning his followers to prayer... a prayer of DIS-ORRDERRRRR-ERRR-ERRRRR!!!!
 
 
Don't ask me what this song's about, I've been debating that thought for over 10 years and I'm sick to death of the taste of seeds
 
System of a Down are one of the few metal bands that chavs can openly admit to liking, without having the Burberry beaten out of them

   

No comments:

Post a Comment