Friday 17 January 2014

#SongOfTheDay: January 17th 2014

Let's talk lyrics.

In this day and age, I think that lyrics are becoming severely underrated. Most modern music doesn't even try to be inventive or even cohesive with the words they choose to use and some just blatantly steal lines and ideas from much better compositions. There are some exceptions but the majority focus purely on trying to make a tune catchy with lyrics that adapt well to the melody they've chosen, despite how perplexing or outlandish they come across within the context of the song. This is to me is both wrong and lazy

Good lyrics can make a good song great. Bad lyrics can make a good song bad and a bad song with bad lyrics makes my soul cry a little.

This brings me to 'Call Me Al'


To remedy this I always think of this song in particular, as a reminder of how witty and inspiring lyrics can make a song. This is a good tune in itself but combined with Paul Simon's wry wordplay it becomes a classic that will be remembered for years, no decades to come. Listen to it with me and take a moment to listen to the words. You won't regret it.


 
PAUL SIMON - CALL ME AL




No comments:

Post a Comment